Phone call

Naina was still lost when Shalu, a girl from the next room informed her that a phone call from home was waiting for her. She ran down to the booth. Chachaji and chachaji showered affection on her and Naina happily gave them the news of her selection for writing articles and the subsequent payment. Chachaji was a little apprehensive about it, saying that she needs to devote time to studies... but Naina convinced him that she would be able to handle both easily. Knowing her capability to work hard, chachaji gave in and blessed her. Chachiji fussed about how she was eating and what all was served in meals. They both then left the room to let Preeti talk to her dear sister freely.

"Naina, sun, bohot zaroori baat batani hai", Preeti's serious tone scared Naina.

" Kya hua Preeti? Ghar pe sab theek hai na?" She felt a shiver run down her spine, not prepared for a bad news.

"Naina wo Sameer ke nanu ab nahi rahe... Kal Pandit se pucha maine to pata chala." Preeti was also feeling sad at the loss of such a noble person.

"Oh! Mujhe pata hai yeh to", Naina's reply jolted Preeti.

" Kya???  Tujhe pata hai... par kaise?? " Preeti was sure Naina could not have called anyone, it was STD call and she wouldn't have gone out alone to the booth.

"Sameer ne bataya".

If Preeti was shocked earlier, now she was frozen... at comolete loss of words.

" Haan Preeti, meri Sameer se bohot baatein hui... aur usne khud bataya ki kaise uske nanu ko heart attack aaya tha aur kaise wo wahan ke ghar mein nahi reh paas raha tha akele isliye yahan aa gaya." Naina tried to revive her sister.

"Sameer ne tujhse itni baatein kari?",  the shock still had not left her.

Naina was more than happy to share her new experiences with Preeti,  " Main Sameer ko padha rahi hun... usne match ki wajah se classes miss kari thi na, isliye".

"Aur aaj woh mere liye Maggi leke aaya tha... usse padhane ke chakkar mein mera lunch time nikal gaya tha to woh apne mess se banwa ke laya tha", Naina went on.

Another jolt for Preeti.

" Behen, aaj to mujhe bhi lagta hai heart attack aa hi jaayega", Preeti wasn't sure if she was dreaming or actually talking to Naina.

Naina giggled at Preeti's dazed condition. She went on to tell about their conversation, carefully leaving out the last part where she had embarrassed herself to the root... and again colouring at the memory.

Preeti was thawing, "Sach Naina, agar Sameer tujhse aise khul ke baat kar raha hai to jaldi hi tumhaari dosti ho jaayegi aur phir aage to kuch bhi ho sakta hai, behen," the Preeti touch was back.

"Chup kar, Preeti, abhi se itna mat soch, " Naina tried to shut her.

A little later, Naina lay in her bed, her thoughts galloping... Sameer had not reacted to her blurting out. When she had opened her eyes, she found him looking at her, but not in anger... as she has been expecting. His face had a soft expression and his eyes were... wait... did they?  She could have sweared that his eyes had a dreamy look. But as he saw her looking back, he dropped the veil again.

"Chalein?" He had instantly got up, dusting his jeans and bending down to pick up the used plates and other items... not looking at her once.

Naina quietly got up and they moved towards their hostels... no one said anything... no one looked back.

The question remained. He had not answered.

Replaying the day's events in her mind, Naina kept swaying between elation, confusion and gloom... till she finally drifted off to sleep.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें