Results

Naina almost ran to the party area. Her heart was wildly thumping...

What did just happen?

No boy had ever touched her before...  she looked at her wrist... bright red marks could be seen clearly.  Had Sameer not come when he had come... she shuddered to even think about it.

Naina was not used to being teased by boys. While cycling back from school with Swati, sometimes boys would whistle at them or pass remarks and it was always presumed that it was for Swati. Preeti rarely came with them as she went to assist Neelam didi in her parlour, everyday after school. All her life Naina had been hearing that she had 'na shakal na surat'.  Why would some boy try to misbehave with her? Didn't boys do such things with the girls they found attractive?
Naina's topper brain could not come up with answers.

But she felt dirty.  This uninvited touch felt filthy...  she ran to the washroom in the college. With tears streaming down her eyes, she vigorously rubbed her wrist with soap and water... almost peeling off her skin.

After a few minutes, when her heart calmed down a bit, she splashed water on her face, washing away the makeup.

By the time Naina returned to the party area, dance music had stopped.  All students were patiently waiting for the results for Mr and Miss Fresher to be announced.  The Principal was observing the result sheet with a mic in her hand.

She adjusted her glasses and began "Before I announce the results, I must say that all of you performed very well today and I am immensely pleased to see so much of talent in my new students. I would like you all to continue to improve your skills along with giving adequate time to academics.
Not to bore you anymore,  I'll come to Miss Fresher's title for today. In the history of this college, for the first time, this title is being shared by three girls... Naina, Sonali and Komal,  for their mesmerising performance. "

The students cheered for the three girls. Sonali and Komal pulled Naina and they had a group hug.

"And now for Mr. Fresher... the boy who made all of us shed a few tears with his soulful rendition... Sameer Maheshwari."

The applause continued for a long time... till the four people stepped forward and stood next to the Principal.

Sonali bent towards Naina and whispered with a frown,  "Naina tune makeup kyon hataya... ab photos achi nahi aayengi"

Naina gave a small smile to her and stood quietly between Sonali and Komal.  The Principal placed a sash on their shoulders and gave each one a small trophy,  announcing their title. Few photos were clicked and then all got busy with dinner.  Some students came to congratulate the three girls. Sonali and Komal did not notice in their excitement that Naina was exceptionally quiet... and her eyes had a tinge of red.

They placed their trophies on the table and went to pick up dinner... taking Naina along. Naina had removed her sash as well... but the other two proudly sported it. Naina took a small sandwich in her plate and moved back.  She didn't feel like eating. She didn't feel like talking either. Taking small steps, she tried to hide in the dimly lit corner at the far end. Bringing the sandwich up to her mouth she realised that eating was impossible... her eyes shifted to the marks on her wrist which had started to turn blue. Her eyes welled up again.

"Tum theek ho?"

The sound made her jump. She turned to see Sameer standing behind her... his dark eyes reflecting her image once again.

She nodded her head and stepped a little back... turning sideways. Sameer moved ahead and bent a little to check the marks on her wrist. His eyes darkened seeing the bluish imprints. Naina saw his jaw clench but he didn't say anything.

For a while they both stood still... not speaking... not looking at each other.

Naina was sure that her drumming heartbeat, that was deafening her, could be heard by him as well.

Then he walked away... just like that... without any words.

Naina stood like a statue.

Within two minutes Sameer was back, carrying a plate.  He came close to Naina and placed one parantha, some vegetables and a little pulao in her plate. She gave him a shocked look.

"Kha lo... jhootha nahi hai...  tumhare liye hi laya hun" he clarified.

Naina was still puzzled.

"Khana nahi khati isliye behosh hui thi... phirse aisa na ho isliye keh raha hun...  kha lo" he hesitated for a moment, then continued "Neeraj ab tumhe pareshaan nahi karega.  Ab aur mat rona." He walked away.

Naina needed some support... her legs almost refused to take her weight. She dragged herself somehow to a close by chair and sat down heavily... placing the plate on the table. Too many things had happened in the past few hours and she could feel the throbbing at her temples.  She pressed the points on the side of her forehead with her fingers to relieve the stress, shutting her eyes tightly.  Within a few moments, she felt a little better.  Looking around, she realised Neeraj was nowhere to be seen, in fact, he did not come back to the party area from the garden. Nor could she see Sameer. "Kya ladka hai yeh?" She was confused.

Then her eyes shifted to the plate in front of her, and without thinking twice, she started to eat... stopping only after finishing the last morsel.

Later,  Sonali and Komal hugged her and thanked her for being a part of their dance and helping them to win the title.

"Pata hai, hame laga pehle tu isliye mana kar rahi thi kyonki tujhe dance nahi aata... lekin tu to expert hai... sab keh rahe the tu bohot acha dance karti hai... sach Naina... aaj tune kamaal kar diya" Komal beamed at her friend with gratitude.

"Pagal hai kya... main to bas aise hi thoda sa kar leti hun... tum dono ke saath thi isliye achcha ban gaya" Naina was embarrassed with such open praise.

Sonali and Komal left for their house and Naina walked to her hostel, trophy and sash in her hand.

After changing into her simple chikan kurti and white patiala, Naina made herself a cup of black tea and stepped out in the balcony. This place was really a solace for her. She remembered how Sameer had come to know that she had been crying when her friends also could not make out. A smile came to her lips. He had helped her... twice. But he had shown no recognition.

"Usse toh yaad bhi nahi hoga ki main bhi ussi school mein thi... ya hoga?" Naina wondered.

A movement at the far end caught her eye.

A lone figure walked from the tree to the other side of the building.  Hands in pocket, it looked like a man. The ground was covered in darkness and the moving figure looked all black.

Oh God!  Is the tree haunted... or maybe the ground... is that why they have stopped using it?

Naina shivered at the thought.

Just then,  the figure stopped... and looked in her direction... as if it could hear her thoughts.

A chill ran down Naina's spine and she quickly went inside the room... shutting the balcony door.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें