Intezaar

Two souls had a sleepless night.

Naina was cursing herself. Her dream was fulfilled and she did not open her eyes to see. She slapped her forehead for the umpteenth time... and this redness was not due to blushing.

"Duniya ki sabse badi pagal hai tu, Naina", she reprimanded herself, " Jo tu kabse sunna chahti thi wo Sameer ne aaj kaha aur tu samadhi leke baith gayi, bhagwanji, meri akal kyon baar baar ghaas charne bhej dete ho? Kya sochega Sameer? Kahin wo bura maan gaya toh? Nahi... Nahi... woh toh muskura ke gaya hai... Par agar usne apna irada badal diya toh? " Fear gripped her.
"Nahi, nahi... koi debate mein part lena thodi hai... ki last moment pe irada badal diya aur competition se bahar ho gaye... ye to exam ke form jaisa hai... ek baar bhar diya to exam dena hi padega",  she consoled herself with a smile.

Next moment. Slap. Poor forehead.

" Kya bol rahi hai, Naina? Exam, debate... hey bhagwanji, aap hi batao main kya karun? Kya aap Sameer ko ek baar phir se yahan bhej sakte ho?  Nahi, nahi... rehne do... gir jayega to chot lagegi... offo.. main kya karun? "

Naina's senses and intelligence had completely flown out of the window. She was a nervous wreck and spent the whole night pacing in her room, wrenching her hands.

Sameer was no better. He was nervous with excitement. He had finally been able to confess his feelings to Naina. He smiled at her reaction. She was stunned... could not open her eyes to look at him. Though he could not see the reaction in her eyes, her face had expressed what he wanted. She had gone completely red... her lips had trembled... she had even bit her lower lip slightly on one side...

He let out a sigh.

He could still feel her hand in his... he looked at his own... how cold her hand had felt... and his was burning.

He had not planned to say it tonight... he had just gone to meet her once... to surprise her... ask her why Preeti and Swati had left today instead of the next morning.

He himself got a beautiful surprise... seeing her like that... looking like an angel... her beautiful hair forming a halo around her... and no dupatta...

He shivered at the image. This girl... she could make him lose his mind in a wet saree with almost  a backless blouse... or in a normal kurta with her hair unkempt... God! He could lose his mind whenever he saw her... whatever she wears... whatever she does... whatever she says...

Next morning, Naina left her hostel early, to avoid meeting Sameer. She didn't understand why she was doing this... she wanted to meet him. But the mere idea of walking down with him up to the classroom made her break into cold sweat. She skipped her breakfast and ran down the stairs. But the moment she stepped out in the sun, he was there.

Sameer stood waiting... for her... smiling... looking more handsome than ever in light coloured jeans and jacket, and a red T-shirt.

It took her some time to compose herself... and then she took small steps towards him... unsure of what to say.

In a few long strides, he was beside her... one hand in pocket while the other held some notebooks.

"Mujhe laga tha ki tum jaldi niklogi?"

"Kyon?"

"Umm... woh... woh tum library jaogi na... kal ke notes bhi to lene hai tumhe... haina?" He leaned a bit and asked.

Naina nodded, and with great self control, did not run towards the library... she had no plan to go there in the first place, but could not say so...

They reached the deserted library... no student ventured here so early... so they were the only ones.

Settling down at their regular table, Sameer forwarded his notebook and opened the page where he had made notes for Naina. She decided it was better to get to it than get into a conversation. Easier said than done... her hand was shaking... holding the pen itself appeared to be a big task... writing was out of question.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें