Bus

As the days shortened after Diwali, slight drop in temperature made the weather pleasant.

It was the perfect time for a picnic. The college planned a two days trip for second year students... to Alibag, a coastal town, in the south of Mumbai. The students were to leave at ten in the morning, reaching there in about three hours.

Sameer was exhilarated. Two days of unhindered closeness with Naina was filling him up with hopes. Packing was not an easy task if you cannot concentrate on what you are doing, he realised soon. Several times he emptied his small back pack... to be sure he had everything he would be needing in next two days.

Sleep was not so easy to come tonight.

Naina had packed her things in the afternoon... to avoid any last moment panic. She was excited to be going to a place which had popular beaches. She loved them... the vast expanse of water, the frothy waves, golden sand... everything thrilled her. And being with Sameer was adding to her excitement.

Next morning, all students were standing at the gate before time. The chirpy voices of everyone was indication of their high spirits. Naina had worn a skirt with a white top. Sameer was wearing a jacket over his jeans and white t-shirt. Two luxury buses arrived on time and the students started getting in... choosing seats along with their group of friends. Rahul had taken second last seat with Sonali.

Sameer nudged Naina to get in the other bus. She followed him without question. Letting her take the window seat, Sameer settled next to her on the second last seat.

He and Rahul had discussed the previous night that these were the best seats for privacy. Right behind was the back door and then the last row.

Sitting so close to Naina for the entire distance of three hours... he had to force himself from not jumping up in the air.

He had placed both their bags in the overhead shelf.

As everyone settled down, the buses started moving and a loud cheer erupted from both the vehicles. Picnics always make people happy... whatever the age.

Naina opened the window... the cool air making her shiver momentarily.

"Kya hua, Naina? Thand lag rahi hai? Mera jacket le lo." He quickly started to take off his jacket.

Naina kept her hand on his, to stop him, "Thand nahi hai... bas ekdam se hawa lagi to aisa mehsoos hua... achchi lag rahi hai thandi hawa. "

He tilted his head towards her, "Waise thand lage toh mujhe pakad lena... kas ke... bilkul nahi lagegi."

He earned a smack on the shoulder, "Picnic par hum sabke saath honge... toh zara khyaal rakhna."

A smack could not deter him even a bit, "Khyaal rakhunga... bohot achche se khyaal rakhunga apni jaan ka",  he tilted his head further to touch hers.

Naina gave him a look of fake anger.

"Jitni chahe badi aankhen karlo... inme main hi nazar aata hun", he looked at his face reflected in her eyes.

Naina turned, to look outside, trying to hide her blush from him.

Sameer was aware of the effect his each action or word had on Naina. He picked up her hand, holding it between his palms. Naina did not stop him. He turned her palm, and started examining the lines, tracing each one lightly with his finger.

His light touches always gave her goosebumps... now was no different.She tried to pull her hand away but he held onto it.

" Arre, main tumhara haath dekh raha hun", he said with an innocent expression.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें