Bangles

Once the groom's family had left, Sonali came back to her room along with Naina.

"Haye yaar, thak gayi main toh... Naina, shaadi karna bada mushkil kaam hai yaar... baithe baithe kamar toot gayi meri." She fell on the bed exhausted.

Naina smiled, "Shaadi ki jaldi bhi tujhe hi thi."

She sighed, "Pata thodi tha itne papad belne padenge... tu toh mandir mein shaadi kar lena... ek din mein kaam khatam... abhi toh kal ke bhi do function hain."

Naina recalled Pooja didi's tilak.

"Tujhe tilak mein nahi jaana hoga na? Humare yahan toh nahi jaate... matlab  baaki sab jaate hain, dulhan ke alawa." She asked.

"Par mujhe jana hoga... yahan pe saare function mein jaate hain... woh log bhi apna shagun kal hi denge mujhe... isliye jaana padega." She said in a tired voice.

They changed into their night suits... applied the mixture of lime juice and sugar on their mehendi to get a darker colour and drifted off to sleep, not washing their hands as directed by the mehendi wala.

Sameer went to the washroom after Rahul had changed into comfortable clothes. Taking off his shirt, he looked at the mark Naina had accidentally given him... second time in one day... not bad. Her nervousness when he had asked her to do so was stirring... she could turn from demure to vivacious to bold in a moment... and go back to being timid again in no time. She had so many layers... he was eager to discover each one.

He moved his fingers lightly over the mark, feeling her lips. Taking a deep breath he pulled over the closed neck t-shirt and went out.

Naina got up with a start. Looking around, she realised it was still middle of the night... she felt there was a sound from the balcony.

"Yeh Sameer yahan bhi toh nahi aa gaya... marwayega yeh dono ko." She tip toed to the balcony, muttering under her breath.

It was empty. She looked all around... checking the pipe and also down below... there was no one. She pressed her forehead, wondering if it was all a dream. Lost in her thoughts she walked back to the bed.

A loud gasp escaped her mouth. Sameer sat on the bed, hugging her pillow, smiling at her. She looked behind him, Sonali was in deep sleep.

"Tum pagal ho, Sameer? Yahan kya kar rahe ho? Itni raat ko aise kyon aaye tum? Agar koi dekhega toh kya kahega? Sonali uth jayegi... please tum jao abhi." She pleaded in a low whisper.

He gave a crooked smile... then pulled her, circling his hands around her waist, he rested his head on her belly. Naina stood motionless, not even breathing... the weight of his head was surprisingly very light. She moved her hand to touch it... her hand could not feel him.

Naina opened her eyes.

Looking at her belly she realised the weight was of Sonali's hand. Her eyes scanned the dark room. Sameer was nowhere... even the balcony door was closed.

After carefully removing Sonali's hand, she got up to use the washroom, sweating from the touch she felt in her dream.

Sameer stood at the door, hands crossed against his chest, smiling.

She panicked, "Laga tha mujhe tum aaye ho... Sameer, kya karte ho tum? Kaha tha na yahan nahi aana? Ab wapas kaise jaoge?"

She turned to check the door... it was locked. So was the balcony door.

"Lekin tum aaye kaise?" She turned to ask him, confused.

He was gone.

Naina looked around... checking inside the washroom as well. There was no one.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें