Friends

Though there was still one week to go, Naina started to plan her outfits for the wedding functions. She had two new suits.  For the wedding itself, she decided to go for the purple suit Phulla bua had given her for last Diwali. She realised there were plenty of outfits now. Her mind drifted to Pooja didi's marriage time when she and Preeti had got two new outfits each and for other events, they had to make do with old ones. How much they had fought over the old dresses, each one wanted to wear the comparatively less old ones.

Now she had enough money to buy new clothes as well. Even after giving away majority of her earnings to the 'Kaliyaan' foundation, she was left with the initial payment amount she had received for her story. Not being in the habit of spending unnecessarily, she had hardly used that money. And there was no need to do so now either. She could easily manage with all the clothes that she had recently got made.

Naina was not as worried as Sameer about the four days she would be staying with Sonali. She knew the amount of confusion and activities in a house where such ceremony had to take place. She could easily slip out to meet him. And the unending rituals that will be performed together by both families will ensure that she gets to spend time with him. They would definitely spend more time together than they could do in Ahmedabad. She smiled as his sulking face floated in front of her.

Sameer was wondering if he could persuade Naina to return to the hostel after each function, instead of staying there. It would serve twin purpose, she would be staying close to him... and he would get a chance to take her and bring her back on his bike everyday.

Sighing, he chucked away the thought, Naina would never agree to it. His thoughts then moved to the ceremonies she had described. According to his knowledge from the movies, everybody dressed up really well for all the functions. Did that mean Naina would also dress up in heavy outfits? He recalled bua dadi telling him about dressing up to match her. He quickly opened the cupboard and took out the clothes she had gifted him. He reminded himself to ask Naina exactly how many ceremonies will be there and how many clothes he needed to carry.

When they met in the evening, he was ready with his list of questions.

"Naina, jaldi se batao kitne kapde leke jaane chahiye... chaar din hain toh chaar kapde theek hain kya?" He asked the moment she came.

"Nahi Sameer, chaar se kya hoga. Aath... nahi tum das rakh lo." She said with conviction.

"Dus? Itne saare kya karenge? Wahan saara din bas alag alag kapde pehen ke ghumna hai kya?" He was amazed at her suggestion.

"Dekho jis din hum jayenge, yaani che tareekh ko toh pooja hai... agle din subah haldi aur shaam ko mehendi. Fir aath ko tilak hai aur fir sangeet. Aur nau tareekh ko toh shaadi hi hai." She told him the program.

He nodded, counting on his fingers as she mentioned everything.

"Toh yeh che mauke hain... fir dus kapade kyon?" He gave a puzzled look to her.

"Arre, jaise shaadi wale din subah mein bhi toh kuch achha pehnoge na... aakhir sabse handsome jo lagna hai tumhe." She winked at him.

"Woh toh main waise bhi lagunga," be weaved a hand through his hair, making her heart skip a beat.

"Achha, abhi bhi do kapde zyaada ho rahe hain... unka kya?" He calculated mentally.

"Ab ek do toh zyaada rakhne hi chahiye... chachiji kehti hain kahin bhi jaate hain toh thoda zyaada hi le jaana chahiye... agar ek do din aur rukna pade toh kaam aata hai." She remembered chachiji's instructions.

He sat up straight, "Do din aur kyon rukenge? Naina, dekho main pehle hi bata raha hun... ek din bhi zyaada  nahi ho sakta."

"Main toh bas chachiji ke shabd dohra rahi thi... shaadi mein thodi zyaada rukenge... jab Sonali hi vida ho jaayegi toh sab mehmaan bhi chale jayenge." She pacified him.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें