Silence

The day had started well for Naina. As she stepped out of the hostel, her eyes fell on the pillar... and her heart jumped in exhilaration... Sameer would be here tomorrow, waiting... she would be able to see him.

"Kal subah che baje se hi yahan aake uska intezaar karungi... jab bhi aayega, kam se kam usse mere liye rukna toh nahi padega" she planned to surprise him.

Her attention in the lectures was even lesser today, the excitement making her oblivious of her surroundings. Somehow she sat through the classes.

Seeing her glowing face, Sonali whispered, "Aaj wapas aa raha hai Sameer?"

She nodded, beaming.

"Haye Naina, tum dono ka pyaar dekhke mujhe itna achha lagta hai ki kya bataun... waise toh Rahul bhi mujhse bohot pyar karta hai, achhe se khyal rakhta hai mera... par Sameer aur teri aankhon mein jo ek dusre ke liye dikhta hai na woh saari duniya se alag hai." Sonali had a dreamy look in her eyes.

Naina blushed.

After the classes, she quickly walked back to the mess for lunch. Back in her room, she oiled her hair, remembering how Sameer had liked the softness even more when last time she had done it. Then she started to look for something special to wear the next day... keeping several dresses against herself in the mirror. Nothing caught her fancy. She finally decided to go for a pink one... the dress was not new but it was his favourite colour.

She was too excited to do anything else. She shampooed in the evening... not wanting to go out in wet hair the next day.

Later, as she stood in the balcony with a mug of tea, wishing for darkness to fall soon, her wish was granted.

The hostel wing went into darkness due to a short circuit in wiring outside.

The electrician was summoned. By the time he arrived, evening had faded and outside light was gone. He tried to find out the faulty wire but could not get the exact point. Having no alternative, it was decided that he would come in the morning to check. The girls sighed as they would have to spend the night without fan and light. It was quite hot and managing without the fan was a challenge.

Naina, however, was too wrapped up in her own bubble of happiness to be bothered.

By night time, some of the girls had decided to go to their relatives who lived close by.

The mess was lit up with candles. Food was prepared in the kitchen of boys hostel. After having a 'candle light dinner' the girls retired to their rooms.

Naina lit one candle and placed it in front of the mirror. She kept moving here and there, not knowing what to do. No fan, the heat of a burning candle in the room and high temperatures outside made her feel sweaty. When it became too uncomfortable, she carried the candle to her cupboard, searching for something in the lowermost shelf. In a while, she took out a kurta. It was a thin cotton, sleeveless kurta. She and Preeti had got one each last year, to wear at night when it was exceptionally hot. They would always change it first thing in the morning so no one came to know about their little secret. Naina changed into the soft outfit, feeling comfortable instantly. To get some ventilation in the room, she opened the balcony door... but kept her room door locked because of the outfit she had chosen for the night.

Sleep was nowhere near her... pacing around her room, she counted the ticking seconds. When the heat inside became too much, she went outside. Except their wing, the lights were on, rendering a soft glow to the surroundings.

Naina looked at the tree, promising to be there the next evening. She crossed her arms and stood with her back resting on the wall as she waited for the night to end.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें