Lucky

Cool breeze swept the white curtains of the window as Naina dressed up for college. The weather was beautiful... a thick cover of clouds, fine drizzle and soft breeze...

Naina chose to wear a long floral skirt with yellow, full sleeves shirt. She tied her hair in a pony and looked at herself in the mirror. Instead of her own, she saw Sameer's face reflecting in the mirror... laughing whole heartedly... and she felt a wave of extreme happiness pass through her. Smiling at her silliness, she picked up the bag and walked out of the room.

As she neared the classroom, she saw Sameer walking towards her... with a smile. And her heart missed a beat... again.

He was wearing a T-shirt today, peach coloured, with his light blue jeans. Carrying his books, he nodded slightly in her direction and entered the room, walking back to the second last bench. Naina sat on her usual bench. As the bell rang, Rahul came running and collapsed on the seat, almost falling on Naina. "Sorry, aaj late ho gaya uthne mein... kaise pohocha hun main hi jaanta hun" He tried to catch his breath. Everyone straightened as the professor entered. After the customary attendance, everyone's attention was on the board... except one person's.

Sameer was fuming. Sitting with Naina was a huge mistake on Rahul's part... on top of that he was about to fall on her... and now he was leaning towards her repeatedly, on the pretext of asking something or the other. Sameer wanted to get up right now, grab his collar and throw him out of the class. His eyes did not move from Rahul for the entire lecture. At the end of the period, he wasn't even aware what subject was taught.

The moment he saw the professor leaving, he rushed out, leaving a perplexed Naina staring after him.
Rahul was surprised to see Sameer in class. He leaned towards Naina again, "Aaj hamara hero class me aaya hai...kya baat hai."

Naina chose not to react.

Sameer did not return for next two lectures either. Now she was worried. "Jab aa gaya tha to phir se gayab kahan ho gaya? Aur kyon? Yeh ladka bhi... paas hona bhi hai ya nahi" She collected her things and went to the library.

Sameer was standing at the window, looking out.

"Arre Sameer, tum yaha kya kar rahe ho? Class mein kyon nahi aaye?" Naina relaxed, seeing him there.

Sameer turned to face her. His mouth was pressed in a grim line. Naina was surprised to see his changed expression. Placing her bag  on the table, she moved closer, "Tum theek ho?"

And his face eased into a smile. The question was becoming a sort of anthem between them.

He took a couple of steps and sat on the chair, asking Naina to sit with a gesture of his hand.

Settling on the adjacent chair, Naina questioned him again, "class me kyon nahi aaye?"

Sameer lowered his eyes, not been able to look at her while lying, "Itne dino se koi class attend nahi ki to kuch samajh nahi aa raha tha."

"Lekin tum aaoge nahi to kaise samajh aayega? Phir attendance bhi short ho sakti hai. Please, kal se classes zaroor attend karna." She almost pleaded.

And as an afterthought,  added softly,  "Tum chaho to ab tak ka syllabus main tumhe karwa sakti hun." She managed to surprise him again. He just nodded.

Naina took out a long notebook from her bag and started to explain something when a peon came looking for her.

"Aap Naina Agarwal hain? "

When she nodded, he conveyed, "Aapko abhi Principal madam ne bulaya hai, apne office mein."

Naina quickly got up to go, putting her notebook back but stopped. She extended it towards Sameer, "Yeh aaj tum le jao, ek baar reading kar lo, main kal samjha dungi."

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें