Mr India

The party was over but the excitement level in the college did not show any sign of dipping. The title winners were constantly being congratulated and pestered for treat. Though the three girls who won the title were always there to accept the greetings,  Mr Fresher was not seen anywhere. More often than not, students asked the three girls for his whereabouts, surprising them.

"Yaar ye sab hame hi kyon poochte hain Sameer ke bare mein? Mr Fresher bana hai... hamara Mr thodi bana hai?" Komal was visibly irritated after being asked for the umpteenth time. Sonali burst out laughing at her comment but Naina felt a burning feeling in her heart. Jealousy.

But the question was still unanswered. Where did Sameer Maheshwari disappear again and again... and how did he manage to come whenever he was needed.

"Mr India hai kya?" Naina started having doubts, "kal laal chashma lana padega... aakhir ye kabhi mujhe dikhta kyon nahi hai... cricket wale baaki boys to phir bhi kabhi dikh jaate hain par Sameer unke saath bhi nahi hota. Jaata kahan hai? Kahin kuch galat aadatein to nahi hain?" Naina shuddered at the thought.

Just then, she heard some gasps and looked up to see Neeraj walking in the room with an injury on his forehead, covered with a tape and a black eye. He also seemed to be limping... and his hand that held Naina's wrist was covered with heavy bandage. Everyone crowded around him, asking the reason of his injuries. Neeraj gave them a story of how he was attacked while driving back from the party and he fought alone with four goons, getting injured badly but not letting them take his bike and money. All were impressed with his bravery and praised him. As his eye caught Naina's, he lightly joined his palms and bowed his head, before quickly looking away.

Naina's eyes opened wide as realisation struck her. Sameer had done this to Neeraj. The story he was telling everyone was to save his face. "What had Sameer done to his hand? Did he break his fingers..." Naina shivered at the thought.

This realisation brought about a storm inside her. She could not focus on anything. Picking up the bag, she rushed to the library. Her table at the far corner was always empty. She loved to sit there as the huge window right next to it gave a view of the college gate and the garden.

Her steps halted. Someone was already occupying her place. No, not the seat... but the window.

Sameer was standing at the window, hands in pocket, his back to her.

She could sense that he was troubled. Something was bothering him.

Till now Sameer had come to her rescue... Naina decided that now it was her turn. 

"S... Sameer",  she softly called out.

He jerked his head in her direction, before looking away again. But in that fraction of a second Naina noticed that his face was stained with tears. He quickly wiped his face on the pretext of setting his hair and then turned towards her.

"Tum yahan? Class nahi attend kar rahi?" He enquired.

"Tum theek ho?" Naina asked him the question he had been asking her till now everytime they met, ignoring his query.

Her question brought a smile to his face. Naina thought her heart had stopped beating. Now was a good time to die... Sameer Maheshwari smiled at her.

"Tumhe kaam hoga yahan... main chalta hun," Sameer started to move.

"Kuch kar Naina... rok usse... bhagwanji ne itna acha mauka diya hai... aaj mat dar" Her mind voice screamed.

"Ruko..." Her sharp tone made him halt and turn back.

She took a few slow steps towards him, twisting her fingers.

"Kuch kaam hai mujhse?" He raised his eyebrows.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें