Woh Ladki

Sameer was not sure whether he should tell Naina about his mother's call and her instructions. Naina had been waiting anxiously, he knew, but if he told her now, she would be more tensed.

But hiding from her was not an option. She had given him the strength to talk calmly to his mother. Not even once did he raise his voice during their morning conversation. He didn't feel the need to do so. Maybe, Naina will help him handle this call better.

He decided to tell her right away.

The phone started to ring as Naina came back to the room, after helping chachiji prepare breakfast. Preeti was in the bathroom. She ran to pick up, expecting it to be Sameer.

"Hello?"

"Naina... Naina unka phone aaya tha." He broke the news.

Her heart sank... she had been hoping that his mother won't call.

He waited but she didn't say anything... though he could hear her nervous breathing.

Sameer told her everything his mother had said.

Naina heard him with bated breath... not knowing how to react. His mother speaking to him about a girl was one thing, but he himself talking to her... even if it was on phone...

She felt a sharp pang of jealousy.

"Tum usse kya baat karoge?" She could not hide the edge in her voice.

"Maine socha hai... main usse saaf saaf keh dunga ki main koi shaadi waadi nahi karne wala usse."

She could sense some nervousness in his voice.

"Aur kya bolun, Naina? Tum batao na kaise baat karun?" He knew she was the only one who could help him remain sane in this situation.

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, "Kuch bataya auntyji ne ki kab phone karegi woh?"

"Aaj dopaher ko kaha hai... ek baje ke kareeb", he recalled his mother's words.

"Mujhe thoda time do... main kuch sochti hun." Naina hoped that if she thought about it, she might find a way out, without anyone getting hurt.

Sameer could sense her apprehension. Had he been in her place, he would have gone mad with jealousy. He remembered the time when he came to know about the proposal that had come for Naina... mere mention of someone else thinking about her like that made him want to kill that person. In spite of knowing that Naina will never agree to get married to anyone, he had felt his world slip away from his hands... it had been like a nightmare... the fear of losing her had gripped him.

Naina must be going through the same dreadful thoughts... still she was ready to help him.

Sameer marvelled at her strength. She had been through so much in life... like him. He had turned bitter and detached with everything. But Naina had always been warm and loving. Even in school, that was the first thing that had drawn him to her... she was affectionate with one and all. He could have never guessed how much pain she was keeping inside her. He had seen her father's behaviour towards her... it was almost like his own mother talking to him.

And then there was that cruel lady, her taiji. Sameer shuddered as he remembered the bruises she gave... the marks on her waist and wrist. If she was giving her so much of physical pain even now, how much Naina must have endured as a child. His eyes became wet, thinking about a much smaller Naina suffering at the hands of her taiji.

Naina could not sit still. Sameer had to talk to a girl who wanted to be his wife... she shut her eyes tight... it was excruciating to even think about it... and she had to help him go through it. She didn't have the heart to say no when he asked. But how could she help him when she herself was in need of some...

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें