Decision

As chachaji stood firm on his ground, they were spared another visit by the boy's family... though it resulted in a heated argument between chachaji and tauji, with taiji adding fuel to fire in between.

It was the hour between morning and noon... Preeti had gone to the parlour and Bela had gone to the market.

Chachaji was relaxing in his room.

Naina hesitantly knocked on the door.

"Arre, aao beta, wahan kyon ruk gayi?" His smile had all the warmth she needed.

Naina entered, twisting her fingers together,  "Chachaji, mujhe aapse kuch baat karni hai."

He sat up, "Haan, haan, batao... "

She fidgeted with her dress...

Seeing her in tension, chachaji got up and came to her.

He put his hands on her shoulders, guiding her to sit on the chair.

Sitting next to her on the bed, he gave a comforting look, "Tum abhi tak bhabhiji ki baat ke baare mein  soch rahi ho? Naina, main tumhare sapne tootne nahi dunga, beta. Bela ne mujhe sab bataya... jo log aisi soch rakhte hain woh tumhare layak kabhi nahi ho sakte... tum aaram se Mumbai jao aur apni padhai poori karo... uske baad main khud tumhare liye ek achha sa ladka dhundh ke launga... jo meri beti ko samajh sake aur usse uski udaan bharne ki azaadi de, mujhe pata hai aisa ladka kahin na kahin toh zaroor hoga..."

"Aisa ladka hai, chachaji",  her voice was a soft whisper.

Her eyes remained lowered... she waited for a response.

The silence prevailed for a few minutes... Naina could feel the heaviness of each passing second.

After what seemed like an eternity, chahaji's voice reached her, " Kaun hai?"

She swallowed, "Mere saath Mumbai mein padhta hai... yahan bhi school mein tha."

"Tum school ke samay se usse...?",  his voice turned hard.

"Nahi, nahi... school mein toh maine kabhi usse baat bhi nahi ki..." Naina quickly corrected him... their silent feelings for each other during  school days need not be talked about now.

Chachaji looked at her with an expression she could not read, "Naina, sach batao, kya tum Mumbai isliye gayi thi ki woh bhi wahan padh raha tha?  Tum uski wajah se Mumbai gayi thi kya?"

It was a difficult question... she had decided to go to Mumbai because of him... but not to be with him... she had gone to stay away from him.

"Chachaji, jab maine jaane ka faisla kiya tha tab nahi jaanti thi ki woh bhi wahan hoga." She did not lie.

"Kya naam hai uska?"

"Sameer... Sameer Maheshwari."

His eyes widened, "Sameer Maheshwari? Jai Prakash Maheshwari ji ka nati?"

She nodded.

He remained silent for sometime... absorbing the information. The name was big... and well known. But this matter concerned his daughter... name and position was the last thing that could impress him.

"Kya woh bhi tumhe...?" He wanted to be sure.

"Jee", Naina lowered her eyes again.

"Kabse jaanti ho usse?"

"College ke pehle hafte mein baat hui thi... usne meri madad ki thi... fir maine uski padhai mein madad ki... tabse jaante hain ek dusre ko." She looked at him with hopeful eyes.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें