Payback

Naina could not meet Sameer for next three days. He was restless but there was no way she could manage to come out.

Preeti's parlour classes were not there for a week. And taiji had come back after a few days of visit to the village. The respite that the girls and chachiji were feeling had ended.

Naina was more at the receiving end after rejecting the proposal brought by taiji.

But she felt confident about facing her... as compared to earlier.

Chachaji was getting ready for office in the morning and chachiji was preparing breakfast and tiffin for him when taiji stormed in, all dressed up in a gaudy saree and wearing gold jewelry.

"Bela, O Bela... zara chaar paranthe bana de... tere bhaisaab ke liye... mera cylinder khatam ho gaya... ", she ordered, settling down on the swing.

"Jee bhabhiji", she muttered under her breath about how taiji was always ready to dump the entire household work on her.

Taiji continued in loud voice, "Aur abhi mujhe inke saath jaana hai inke client ke ghar... unka grah pravesh hai... nai saree lee hai... aur ye haar bhi liya hai... ab rob to dikhana chahiye na."

Bela gave a fake smile from the kitchen, "Bohot achhi saree hai, bhabhiji."

Naina came to the kitchen to help... but taiji got a glimpse of her.

"Tu wahan kya kar rahi hai... idhar aake zara mere pairon mein tel laga... wahan gaon mein kitna chalna padta hai... mere toh pair toot gaye... aur aaj firse bahar jaana hai."

Naina picked up the bottle of oil and went out to the living room.
Sitting on a low stool, she started massaging oil on taiji's feet.

"O bai, haathon mein mehendi lagayi hai kya? Zara dum laga ke maalish kar", she hollered.

Naina continued massaging one foot for a few minutes, then got up... picking up the bottle.

Taiji looked at her in surprise, "Chal kahan di? Doosra pair kaun karega?"

"Woh taiji, tel garam karke laati hun... aapko aaram milega", she politely smiled.

As taiji relaxed back on the swing, it moved and hit Naina's leg... and she lost her balance. Trying to save herself from falling, she lunged for the chain of swing, and the bottle of oil went in the air... falling back... it landed on taiji's forehead, spilling some oil on her face and tumbling down to spread on her clothes.

Naina looked in horror as taiji sat frozen in the shocked expression... her eyebrows high, shoulders puffed up, palms open and spread wide, eyes looking down at the greasy patch forming a dark stain on her new saree...

Bela came running from the kitchen, "Arre Naina, beta tujhe lagi toh nahi?"

Naina shook her head quickly, keeping the lips sealed, holding onto the sides of her dress.

Looking at the oil dripping figure on the swing, Bela clapped her palm on her mouth.

Taiji raised her head slowly and turned towards Naina, eyes red in anger.

Suddenly, loud, abusive voice echoed in the house, "Meri nai saree ka satyanash kar diya, karamjali... teri aankhen kaam nahi karti kya... ab kaun bharega yeh nuksaan... tere baap ke pass toh apne kharche uthane layak bhi paise nahi hain... unka pet bhi hum bharte hain... aur unki beti hamare hi paison mein aag laga rahi hai..."

Taiji tried to stand to hit Naina but she stepped back, scared.

A few drops of oil from Taiji's clothes fell on the floor... and as she moved to get hold of Naina, her foot slipped on the oil on floor.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें