Vidai

The family settled down on the soft mattresses spread on the floor, covered with crisp, pristine white sheets.

Naina sat down with the girls who were happy to have been able to get jijaji's shoes.

The ritual started with the usual chanting and lighting of fire. In the beginning, Sonali was made to sit a little away as pooja was to be done only with Rahul. Naina whispered something to the girls and got up to go outside. Sameer could not sit and wait. He followed her right away.

"Naina, kahan jaa rahi ho?" He called out as he saw her going towards the dining area.

Naina turned to see him right behind her. Her heartbeat became faster at the thought of what happened in the house.

"Bas haath dhone jaa rahi thi... joote uthaye the... abhi phool dalne honge isliye." She replied softly, with lowered eyes.

Sameer glanced at the dining area. There was no one from the family. Only the helpers were moving around, clearing the table of dinner dishes. Just a couple of tables were left with arrangement of hot and cold beverages, some snacks and sweets.

"Tum yahin ruko, main paani laata hun." He didn't want her to be around all those people alone.

Naina waited while he fetched a glass of water. She extended her hand but he indicated her to bring her hands over a corner flower bed.
Naina washed her hands as he poured water. Quickly, he fished out his handkerchief and offered to her. As Naina wiped her hands, he washed his and went back to return the glass. She gave him the handkerchief to wipe his hands. When they were done, she turned to go.

"Naina, suno," he stopped her.

Her heart again missed a beat. They were at a place where half the people present there could easily see them.

"Sameer, hum abhi bahar... " She turned to speak but paused as she saw him holding a roll towards her.

She looked at the roll, then raised her brows at him, taking the gaze off him instantly.

"Tumhare liye paranthe hain... tumne kuch khaya nahi hai na." He said softly.

"Tumne khaya?" She was not sure he had eaten what she gave him.

He nodded.

Naina took the roll and unwrapped it. She offered it to him. He shook his head. She mouthed a soft 'Please.'

Sameer took a bite. Naina took the next. She offered it again to him.

He refused, "Maine kha liya, Naina... yeh tumhara hai... main khaunga toh tumhara pet nahi bharega."

"Rahul aur Sonali ne ek dusre ko khilaya hai... jiski shaadi hoti hai sab aisa hi karte hain." She finally looked into his eyes.

Sameer held the roll, keeping his hand over hers, and took a bite, then took it for her to eat.

They finished the two paranthas together. He offered the handkerchief again and Naina wiped her hands with the damp handkerchief. She then dabbed it around her mouth and gave it back to Sameer. He kissed it, folded and kept it in his pocket.

Naina stood watching him for a few seconds, then turned and walked back to sit with others where the next and the last ritual of marriage was to be performed.

Sameer wanted to stop her, make her stand with him for some more time... he wanted to know what she had been thinking when she looked at him with such intense eyes...

But she was gone.

Panditji  called for the bride and Sonali occupied the place next to Rahul.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें