Shirt

The day had been the longest in Naina's life... and most painful.

When she had entered the Principal's office, she was not aware it would take this long. When she realised, her first thought was to inform Sameer somehow. But all her excuses failed when Principal didn't allow her to go out of the room.

"Bahar nahi, Naina... bathroom bhi yahin wala use kar lo... main nahi chahti bahar kisi ko pata chale abhi ki yahan kya ho raha hai... bekar mein sab ikathhe ho jayenge... aur lunch bhi maine yahin mangwa liya hai toh uski bhi tension mat lo. Ab hum shaam ko hi yahan se niklenge... tab tak saare students jaa chuke honge." Principal said in a firm voice when Naina tried to go out on the pretext of using the bathroom.

She was fidgety by lunch time but Principal attributed it to the nervousness.

Naina did not get a chance to meet Sameer.

Now all she wanted was to end the shooting and go back... to run to the ground and rush into his arms.

"Chaliye ab yahan ka kaam toh khatam hua... saara samaan sambhaal ke pack karlo." The director ordered his technicians.

His words were a song for Naina. She quickly picked up her bag to leave.

"Naina, aadhe ghante mein change karke gate ke paas aa jao... aage ki shooting mere ghar pe hai. Hum sab saath hi chalenge."

Principal's words changed the song into an explosion for her.

"Mujhe bhi jaana hoga?" She controlled her tears.

"Aur kya... ab tumhari shooting saath hi toh chal rahi hai... aadhe ghante se zyada mat lena." She directed.

Naina checked the time. There was still one hour for their meeting under the tree. Still, she decided to take a chance. Instead of going to her room, she ran out to the ground.

Sameer was not there.

"Abhi se kyon aayega... par ab kaise bataun usko... woh kabse intezaar kar raha hoga." She was desperate.

First thought was to leave a note for him here. But a piece of paper could fly away and fall in someone else's hand... it was unlikely but she couldn't take a chance.

In the end, she decided to write a message on the muddy ground a little ahead of the tree. She was sure that Sameer would move about here and there and when he would step this side, he would see her message.

Naina wrote on the ground

'Mil nahi paungi
itna batana hai
rukna chahti hun
par zaroori mera jaana hai'

She wished she could see him once. Walking back to her room with heavy steps, she turned a couple of times, hoping that Sameer comes a little early.

He did. But only after Naina had turned towards her wing. She got ready quickly, hoping to see him when he left his hostel building. Naina was at the gate in twenty minutes, taking turns to check the entrance and his window. But he was nowhere.

"Kahan chale gaye Sameer... ek baar toh khidki pe aa jao." She was on the verge of crying.

The crew came with the Principal shortly... before she could catch a glimpse of him. They left together in the car for Principal's bungalow close by.

It was after nine thirty that she entered the college. The first place Naina ran to was the tree. It stood all alone. She looked at the message she had left, hoping to find something from Sameer. There was nothing. Her throat choked and the tears that she was holding back since evening spilled down her cheeks.

It wasn't easy for her to walk back to the room. Not meeting him for almost the whole day had drained her completely.

She recalled how she had admonished him the previous night when he wanted to stay with her for some more time.

Kabhi to nazar milaoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें