Chapter 63

THE HOSPITAL

Mrs. Ji sat in front of a bed in a hospital ward as both of her hands tightly gripped the hands of her youngest son, Ji An. Her face was filled with anguish.

At this moment, Mr. Ji led the doctor-in-charge into the ward. Mrs. Ji was extremely agitated and stood up immediately at the sight of the doctor.

"Doctor Liu, how is Xiao An?" Mrs. Ji asked anxiously.

"Don't be too distressed. There is nothing wrong with Xiao An's condition." Doctor Liu reassured her.

"Nothing wrong... then why isn't he waking up?" Mrs. Ji questioned further.

"The reason why he isn't waking up is because he took sleeping pills." Doctor Liu answered.

The Ji couple were taken aback-disbelief written all over their faces.

"It was fortunate that he did not take too many pills. The medicinal effect of sleeping pills is too strong for an 8-year old child. So he is still asleep." Doctor Liu explained.

"Why would Xiao An take sleeping pills?" Mrs. Ji and her husband looked at each other, but they only saw the same expression of bewilderment on the other's face.

At this time, Auntie Hong walked in while carrying some washed fruits. She heard the doctor's explanation and immediately added, "Xiao An mentioned that he was not getting much sleep recently. Perhaps he simply wanted to get a good night's sleep."

"Xiao An was having issues sleeping, why?" Mrs. Ji turned towards Auntie Hong.

"When I went to fetch him after school yesterday, I noticed that young master was not looking well. When I asked him what had happened, he told me that he did not sleep well the day before. After we returned home, he immediately went back to his room to rest. I had thought that he would be fine after taking a nap. I didn't expect that young master would actually take sleeping pills." Auntie Hong's expression was filled with heartache for the child.

"I'll check with his homeroom teacher." Mr. Ji was filled with anger when he discovered that the school did not inform him that his son was suffering from insomnia to the point of resorting to the use of sleeping pills.

Mrs. Ji did not stop her husband and continued asking the doctor, "In that case, would Xiao An be fine once he wakes?"

"After he wakes up, you will need to give more supplements. His body and vital signs are currently very weak. He must have suffered from insomnia for a period of time." Doctor Liu hesitated for a moment as he did not know whether he should touch upon this topic, but he still ended up informing her. "If it's necessary, he could visit a psychiatrist too."

Mrs. Ji was taken aback before recalling something. Horrified, she blurted, "You mean... no, it can't be. Xiao An is different from Lisa."

Doctor Liu was well acquainted with the Ji family. From the day Lisa first fell ill 20 years ago, he had been the one in charge of treating Lisa. After Ji An was born, he was also the one treating the child whenever the child suffered from illnesses such as headaches or fevers. Therefore, he was very familiar with the circumstances in the Ji family.

Ji An's current situation was highly similar to what had happened to Lisa when he first fell ill. It started with insomnia and led to various symptoms afterwards. At that time, when Lisa was ill, he had tried all sorts of treatment methods but he was unable to cure Lisa's insomnia. Lisa was only a 5 year old child at that time and had been in a constantly frightened state-unable to sleep at night and did not have appetite in the mornings. In about a month's time, the child had turned into just skin and bones. During then, Doctor Liu had thought that he could not save Lisa anymore. However, despite the extremely weak state the child was in, Lisa miraculously held on. It was as if there was some sort of unknown power that refused to let the child pass on.