Chapter 90

As it was already late, the 2 girls decided to take a shortcut back.

There was an outdoor park between the shopping street and the university. If they crossed the park, they could save about 10 minutes. However, streetlights in this park were not switched on at night. Thus, the paths were extremely dark. Furthermore, there was an abundant growth of trees and grass in the park, so people typically did not dare to walk through here at night and would step in only if they had someone to accompany them.

However, even if there were both of them walking together, Jennie still felt somewhat afraid. As such, she took out her mobile phone, intending to call their dorm mate. "I will give Joy a call. If there are any bad crooks in this garden, they would definitely not dare to take action against us if they hear that we are on a call with someone else."

Irene blinked and pointed to the road ahead. "There were 2 other people that walked in just now."

A pair of man and woman walked into the park before them just a while ago.

"Then let's walk faster. 4 people walking together would be safer." Jennie said as she hastened her steps to catch up with the pair in front. However, she was not able to walk too quickly due to her cardiac condition. Soon, they lost sight of the pair ahead of them.

Jennie then took out her phone, "Let's call someone instead."

Irene smiled but did not stop her.

The call quickly connected through. Jennie told Joy, who was on the other end of the call. "Joy, Irene and I are currently crossing through the park in front of the shopping street. We're a bit scared. Chat with us for a while."

Joy naturally did not have any objections. There were many girls in schools that were afraid of walking at night and would choose to call their friends.

"Let me tell you. Irene and I bought tons of clothes today. We will show you later...."

"Don't come near! Get out!"

"Ah!"

Before Jennie could finish her sentence, she was interrupted by a yell and a horrified scream. She looked straight ahead in shock, only to spot the same pair of man and woman that entered earlier running back with sheer horror reflected on their faces.

"Jennie, what's wrong? Did something happen? Should I call the police?" Joy was shocked by the horrified screams that she heard during the call and started to ask.

"I-...I'm not sure? Irene, what are you doing?" Jennie was answering Joy's questions when she suddenly spotted Irene-who was originally standing by her side-running forward in big strides while lugging the 7 to 8 shopping bags in her hands.

Jennie started to chase after her subconsciously.

"Don't go over! There're people fighting in front. It's extremely dangerous." The pair of man and woman called out in a panicked tone to Irene when they spotted her running over.

Irene did not heed their calls. However, when she heard Jennie's voice, she paused in her tracks for a moment before running back. She then haphazardly left the 7 to 8 shopping bags that were in her hands at Jennie's feet. She promptly said, "Jennie, wait here for me for a while. I'll go and check on the situation before returning."

Jennie was bewildered by her friend's words. When she finally snapped back to her senses, she saw that Irene had already run at least 5 to 6 meters ahead. She immediately shouted at her friend anxiously, "Irene! Come back here!"

"Jennie, what happened to Irene?" Joy and Rosé, who were at the other end of the call, also started to panic as they did not know what had happened to their friends.