Chapter 139

"Are you misunderstanding something? I'm not here to negotiate. I'm just listing my conditions." Ghost King stared condescendingly down at Irene. Even though his voice was not loud, it carried an immense feeling of authority.

The hearts of both Qi Xiuran and Grandmaster Xu jolted. They looked at Irene, yearning to know her answer.

"I'm not negotiating with you either." Irene met Ghost King's gaze without a trace of fear. "Unless I'm dead, I refuse to allow anyone to lay a hand on Winter."

Bang! The wooden table beside Irene exploded, sending splinters flying in all directions.

Instinctively, she raised her hand to shield herself from the incoming fragments, but a shattered piece of the table leg still struck her arm. A grunt of pain escaped her lips.

"Crushing you would be a breeze. That Witch Doll is merely a metaphysical tool of your Witch clan. You can easily create another to replace it. Do you really wish to meet your demise now?" In response to Ghost King's words, the surrounding ghost energies began to swirl about, as if mirroring the dwindling patience of the ghost."

"Kill me if you think you can-..."

"Witch." Qi Xiuran could not help but interrupt Irene. He desperately signalled to her with his eyes. "It's just a metaphysical tool. There is no need to risk your life. Think for the peace of the world, think about the people around you. After this matter is resolved, the association will supply you with all the resources that you need to recreate the tool."

He had realized earlier that the doll held by Irene was just a metaphysical tool of the Witch clan endowed with the ability to allow the daughter of Ghost King to reincarnate. As long as his daughter could be reincarnated, Ghost King was willing to return to deep slumber. This would allow for the situation to be resolved without any sacrifices. However, looking at Irene's reaction, it seemed like she was unwilling to comply. Therefore, he could not help but step forward to persuade her.

He was indeed afraid-fearful that Irene would enrage Ghost King. He also feared that if Ghost King killed Irene, it would ultimately trigger Ephialtes' true awakening. Both outcomes would lead to an apocalypse.

"You're pretty good at expressing generosity on behalf of others." Irene chided. "If you're so talented, think of a method to send his daughter to reincarnation."

"I-...." Qi Xiuran also wanted to do so, but he was not a witch. If he were a witch, he would have immediately given his metaphysical tool to Ghost King in exchange for the peace of the world. However, the reality was that he was not one. Since Irene did not seem like someone who would consider the broader picture, he could only keep quiet.

Irene noticed that Qi Xiuran was not speaking anymore so she ignored him. She then looked at Ghost King and said, "You have only seen your daughter once in her lifetime before her death, yet you treated her with utmost care and affection. Even if she turned into a ghost general carrying immense resentment and harmed countless lives, you still racked your brain for ideas to send her for reincarnation."

"Even though Winter is a metaphysical tool, it possesses a soul. When we Witch clan nurture a soul, what we are creating is a life. Winter has been by my side since I was 3 years old. Regardless of whether I'm eating, sleeping or studying, I have always carried it with me. I have nurtured it little by little over the course of 10 years. Humans need 10 months of pregnancy to birth a child, I've only raised one Winter with the same time it would have taken a person to have given birth to 20 children. It already learned how to address me as her 'mother', yet you want me to sacrifice it to save your daughter? Would you be willing to do so if you were in my shoes?" Irene shot back at him in rage.