Chapter 142

Ghost Gentleman had forsaken his usual flowing traditional attire. His long hair was now casually tied up with a rubber band and laid on his back. The once debonair and carefree demeanour of Ghost Gentleman had been somewhat subdued, but his refined air remained undiminished. However, Irene was not surprised by this change. What truly astonished her was that, despite holding the status of a ghost general, Ghost Gentleman exuded no traces of ghost energy. In fact, she couldn't sense his presence at all, even though he was currently standing at their front entrance.

"Lady boss." Ghost Gentleman carried Winter and walked up to Irene as he greeted her with a smile. "It's been a while."

"Where did you acquire this guise?" Irene could now perceive that the absence of ghostly energies on Ghost Gentleman's form stemmed from the fact that he wore a skin capable of concealing such energies. It bore an uncanny resemblance to that of a human's, save for the lack of vitality.

"This is the newest invention in the Underworld that's still in the research and development phase. By wearing this, one can effectively mask their ghost energies. Thus, making it easier to roam the mortal realm." Ghost Gentleman explained simply.

Irene nodded in understanding. With a ghost king already present in Hai City, the appearance of a ghost general would only exacerbate the situation.

"You're having a meal? Just as I am feeling a little famished." As he spoke, he sat down naturally and started to use the eating utensils in front of Winter without even waiting for Irene's response.

Winter was not angry, instead it was docile and allowed Ghost Gentleman to continue hugging it.

"You can still eat in this guise?" Irene uttered in surprise.

"The researcher who provided me with this skin said that, apart from procreation functions, it possesses all the abilities of a human." Ghost Gentleman explained.

Lisa went into the kitchen to grab a cup and poured some water for Ghost Gentleman.

"You have my thanks."

"Is your visit here today because of a directive from the Underworld, or have you come on your own volition?" Lisa asked.

"Both are true." Ghost Gentleman answered. "The Underworld has received news of the emergence of a ghost king. However, because of various reasons, the Underworld is unable to directly interfere with affairs of the mortal realm, so they could only send an envoy here to assist. Since they knew about my relationship with you guys, they asked me. I just took the opportunity and came over."

Irene and Lisa looked at each other and asked, "Then what do you intend to do here?"

Ghost Gentleman glanced at Winter, which was cradled in his arms, before replying, "I want to bring Winter to the reincarnation cycle."

Winter heard its name and lifted its head up while shouting "AH!". It met its big brother's gaze and gave him a huge, adorable beam.

Ghost Gentleman smiled in response before continuing, "During my time in the Underworld, I delved into the subject of witches nurturing souls. According to records, once a soul nurtured by a witch develops a robust self-consciousness, it gains the ability to mature independently. Thus, even without the witch's assistance, the newly formed soul can develop on its own. I recall that Winter possessed ample soul energy; it merely lacked emotional nourishment. In Winter's case, it can be deemed that it has achieved a strong self-consciousness."

Under ordinary circumstances, as a metaphysical tool, Winter would only typically exhibit instincts to protect its master. However, after living together with Winter for an extended period, Ghost Gentleman had learnt that Winter's protective inclination extended beyond Irene; it was willing to safeguard everyone it knew. During the incident at Lishan Villa, Winter became enraged when he was injured by the little girl. Additionally, at the time when he was about to head to the Underworld, he could sense Winter's reluctance at his departure. These instances served as clear indicators of Winter expressing individualistic emotions.