Chapter 153

After seven days of continuous snow, Haicheng finally welcomed a sunny day on the eighth morning. People were pleasantly surprised to find that overnight, the thick snow, nearly knee-deep, had melted by two centimeters. By the time they watched some TV and finished lunch, half of the snow had already disappeared.

At the first snowfall, people were excited and enthusiastic. But as the snow kept falling, they began to complain about how it hindered traffic. Now, as the snow melted, they rekindled their love for it. People ventured outside, playing in the snow as they did on the day of the first snowfall.

The cheerful atmosphere swept away the previous gloom, as the news had predicted that Haicheng's snow would end on the eighth day. Along with it, the strange weather would also come to an end. With this prediction coming true, people began to regain their faith in science, realizing that not all experts were useless after all.

Naturally, the doomsday rumors circulating online also quickly fell apart.

With only two days left before the New Year, as the snow melted and the roads cleared, more and more people were out and about, full of energy, as if everyone had encountered something good. The city was bustling with a joyous atmosphere.

The previous tense, heavy mood seemed to have vanished overnight, and people felt a sense of relief deep in their hearts. This was not only felt by ordinary people, but also by members of the association who had rushed to stop the battle between the Ghost King and the Nightmare and hadn't yet left the city. They had an even sharper sense of the change.

It seemed as if overnight, the spiritual energy of heaven and earth had thickened considerably.

Sitting in the headquarters hall of the association, Ghost Gentleman spoke to the members, "The Nightmare's power is to create and devour nightmares. Have you ever wondered why the Ephialtes reappears every few centuries?"

The members of the association furrowed their brows, puzzled.

"The nightmares that the Ephialtes creates are eventually absorbed by itself, only to be suppressed later by various means. If you ignore the process and focus only on the result, the Nightmare's existence essentially serves to take away nightmares and the darkness in people's hearts.

So, do you think my hypothesis makes sense?"

The association members fell into deep thought together.

Ghost Gentleman smiled faintly and returned to the underworld, leaving the others in contemplation. This hypothesis was derived from the underworld's records on the Ephialtes, combined with today's thickening spiritual energy.

He had previously discussed with Irene and Lisa that if the Ephialtes was truly harmful to humans, why would the underworld allow it to reincarnate repeatedly?

This led him to a bold guess: the Ephialtes was a tool used by the Heavenly Way, through the underworld, to regulate human emotions-like a major cleaning before the New Year, sweeping away filth and welcoming new blessings.

However, during this cleaning process, the world would inevitably experience some turbulence.

At the city's criminal police department, Mina was smoking a cigarette and squatting in the courtyard, building a snowman. He decided to follow the trend and build a small one while the snow hadn't melted, intending to take it home and keep it in the fridge as a New Year's decoration.

"Captain Mina, there's a case," Yang Ming rushed out and called to Mina.

Mina abandoned the half-built snowman and jumped into the car.

As the car sped out of the police station, Yang Ming quickly briefed Mina on the case: "Someone just reported finding a dismembered body in the river in the outskirts. It seems that as the snow melted, the body floated down the river."