Chapter 148

The clash of ghost energy and Ephialtes' power formed a massive black whirlpool, steadily expanding as it spun. Anyone caught in its path would lose their life instantly. Every living being within the barrier-whether hibernating animals or plants covered in snow-had their life force drained in an instant. The deceased beings released death energy, which transformed into ghost energy and ultimately got absorbed by Ghost King.

"Such strength," Ghost Gentleman couldn't help but exclaim in surprise. In that single moment, he had witnessed thousands of animal souls rise up within the barrier, only to be sucked into the whirlpool and disappear from sight forever.

Irene did not spare a single glance at the rising souls. Her gaze was fixed at the vortex of the whirlpool-Lisa.

Ephialtes' power and Ghost King's ghost energy clashed at the heart of the whirlpool. However, since Lisa had not fully awakened, his power against the powerful Ghost King's was like a stream confronting a massive sea, constantly at risk of being overwhelmed and devoured.

Ghost King had believed the same. He repeatedly attempted to suppress Ephialtes' power with his own. However, that tiny bit of Ephialtes' power stubbornly held on. In fact, it even began to devour his power instead.

He could not afford to allow Ephialtes to continue consuming his power.

That realisation struck Ghost King instantly. His ghost energy could absorb all life from matter, making him the natural predator of all living beings. However, Ephialtes was the natural enemy of all negative energies. All energies in the world originated from the heavens and the earth. Through some arcane encounters, these energies could metamorphose into different forms such as spiritual energies, ghost energies, resentment, malice, and so on. Each form of energy also had different levels of strength. Simply put, the energy of an ordinary ghost was no match for that of a malicious ghost, which was inferior to a ghost general, while a ghost king's energy stood at the top.

When Ghost King first attained the status of a ghost king, he believed his powers had reached the pinnacle, unmatched by anything in this world. Even the Underworld would quiver in his presence. Yet, in this moment, he came to realise that Ephialtes' power status outmatched his own.

If Lisa was given sufficient time, that man would probably be able to transform all his dispersed ghost energy into Ephialtes' power.

The eyes of the Ghost King gleamed with brilliant gold. In a heartbeat, thousands of black spears, materialised from condensed ghost energy, rose into the air behind him, and aimed at Lisa not far away.

Lisa's brows furrowed when he spotted the spears, but he did not make any movements to evade them.

With a sweeping gesture, the Ghost King commanded the thousands of spears to go forth, hurling at a high speed.

Irene's expression shifted drastically. She held her breath in anxiety, as she watched the spears pierce through Lisa's body.

Lisa let out a stifled grunt as he staggered back a step.

"My dearest husband!" Irene exclaimed in fright.

"He's alright. Look at the amount of spears, they decreased significantly." Ghost Gentleman prompted her.

Irene turned her head to look and quickly noticed the abnormality as well. The spears, formed using condensed ghost energy, seemed to have significantly diminished after passing through Lisa's body, as if a portion of them had been absorbed.

"It's possible after all." Glimmers of hope illuminated Irene's eyes. "The level of Ephialtes' power truly surpasses that of a ghost king's."

The power of Ephialtes could devour all negative energies, but only if Ephialtes' status was higher than the other entity's. Essentially a demon, Ephialtes was naturally more powerful than evil spirits and malicious ghosts. Therefore, Irene was unsurprised by Lisa's ability to devour malicious ghosts and even ghost generals. However, like Ephialtes, ghost kings were beings of immense destruction and capable of world destruction. There was no precedent of a confrontation between a ghost king and Ephialtes in history, so Irene was uncertain if Lisa could absorb the energies of a ghost king.