Chapter 150

All of the Ghost King's attacks were blocked by Mina's protective golden light, while his strength was being fully devoured by the Nightmare. He had to break the contract formation as quickly as possible; otherwise, as more time passed and the Nightmare's power surpassed his own, the Ghost King Seal would be stripped from him.

Once the seal was removed, he wasn't sure if the Nightmare could control its power through it, but he knew that he himself would be doomed to utter destruction.

The Ghost King was extremely anxious. He furiously began attacking Lisa, who stood in his way, but Lisa had fully succumbed to demonic transformation, losing all sense of reason. Seemingly oblivious to pain, Lisa completely ignored the Ghost King's attacks. In fact, he absorbed the energy from the attacks even more quickly, using it to swiftly heal his body.

The Ghost King watched helplessly as Lisa's body, torn apart one moment, restored itself the next. The speed of recovery was as if Lisa was immortal, plunging the Ghost King into despair.

It was said that once a Nightmare lost control, it would plunge the entire world into endless nightmares, only to disappear after consuming all of them. Before that happens, no one could stop it.

The Ghost King had heard this legend before but never believed it, because during his long slumber, a Nightmare had once appeared, and humanity had not been wiped out. So, there must be a way to counter the power of the Nightmare, but that method was in the hands of the Metaphysical Association.

For ages, the MA had been protectors of the human realm. However, with humanity's short lifespan and the depletion of spiritual energy, the MA had long since fallen into decline. Otherwise, the Ghost King wouldn't have dared to so brazenly attack the Association's headquarters.

If he couldn't stop it, breaking through this barrier would mean the destruction of the entire world. The Ghost King did not want to destroy the world-if it were destroyed, where would his daughter be reborn?

All he sought was to save his daughter. Before becoming his daughter, she had been one of countless ordinary souls in the underworld. But because she was born as his daughter, she had suffered the agony of death at a young age, tormented by inner demons after her death, never able to reincarnate, and now she faced the threat of complete annihilation.

He owed his daughter. All he wanted was to give her the chance to return to being an ordinary soul, just like before she became his daughter, to forget her pain and live a simple life.

The Ghost King suddenly sneered, mocking himself. He had once taken advantage of the MA's weakness, trying to force them to sacrifice a Witch doll, and now, because of their weakness, he was the one being controlled by the Nightmare. Truly, karma had come full circle.

The Ghost King was decisive by nature, and after weighing the situation, he realized that his fate was sealed. If it were only him, he might gamble for survival, even if it meant dragging the whole world down with him. But for his daughter's sake, he wanted to preserve this world.

"So be it," the Ghost King sighed, and the aura around him suddenly weakened. He stopped his relentless attacks on Irene.

"Huh, the Ghost King has stopped attacking," Mina remarked, clutching his chest as he sat down heavily. Though protected by the golden-red light, the prolonged assault had left his chest in intense pain.

Ghost Gentleman noticed this too. He stood up, looking toward the barrier with a peculiar expression. "It seems the Ghost King has given up resisting."

Irene, fully focused on controlling the contract formation, was puzzled. Judging by the formation's feedback, her husband's energy was rapidly increasing, but it would still take some time before he could overpower the Ghost King. So why would the Ghost King give up resistance now?