~53~ Horrible

Sasha's POV

While dad and I are having our moment, I see Mason watching. I wish more than anything that I could go up to him and let him hold me, but I can't. I grab my duffle bag after another minute and wave to my friends. Even though dad isn't mad right this second, I'm still in plenty of trouble.

We get in the car and start the three hour drive home.

"You girls hungry?" Dad asks after awhile.

"Starving" mom says. I'm glad. I'm starving too.

Dad pulls into Burger King and gets our food. We eat in the car in silence. I know they're upset with me.

After about half an hour, I finally talk.

"I'm sorry. I was wrong" I say quietly.

Dad looks at me through the rearview mirror and turns the radio down.

"I know you're sorry, Sasha... But you still did it" he says, disappointed.

"As soon as I got on the bus, I regretted it" I say, looking down at my hands.

"You could have called us" he says quietly.

"Yeah, I know" I admit. I could have called him. I didn't. I didn't want to miss the competition.

"It was a horrible feeling. Thinking you weren't in the audience watching me. It was awful" I say.

They are quiet for a long minute. I really don't think they are going acknowledge that.

"We're glad we made it in time. You were extraordinary" mom says quietly.

"But you're mad" I say. It isn't a question.

"Yeah, Sash. We're mad. Doesn't diminish how proud we are of you. You always make us proud. But what you did was wrong. It was more than wrong" dad says darkly.

"He was there chaperoning. Because of you, he had to be babysat like a child. I bet that was humiliating for him" dad continues.

"Not to mention the fact that you lied to everybody....and forged mom's signature...and snuck out again."

I think Mason was embarrassed. Principal Mills all but held his hand. I don't think anybody but me noticed, but Mason went nowhere without Mills being right next to him.

"What's my punishment?" I ask after another couple of minutes in silence.

Dad sighs, but is quiet for a second.

"I'm not grounding you. You still have a month. Two months is enough" he says after a minute.

"Ok, so what's my punishment" I ask again.

He sighs. "When we get home, you're getting the belt, Sasha" dad says quietly.

I hate the belt. He only gives it to me on really serious offenses.

I say nothing as I look out the window, letting a tear fall down. I really, really hate the belt. Now I get to think about it for 2 hours.

"I'm sorry, girly. I never spanked you for that night. You know you deserved one then. I can't let this slide too" he says sadly. He doesn't want to do it.

He's looking at me in the rearview mirror. I just nod, wiping another tear away.

I see his face. It's pained. He's been suffering too. I really hurt him.

"I don't hate you, daddy. I'm sorry I said it. I'm also sorry I said mom deserves somebody better. It's not true" I say after another minute.

"Thank you, Darlin" he says simply. His voice is softer now, though.