~85~ In Trouble

Ellie's POV

Today has been absolutely crazy. There's been so many sick kids, and a few who were just trying to ditch class.

Before I know it, lunch is here. I get my door shut and head to lunch. I decide to sit with Lance today. Even though I enjoy the lounge, I really enjoy sitting with everybody in the cafeteria. Even Mason is starting to come around. He never initiates conversations with me, but he's starting to let his guard down.

I'm starting to see his goofy, fun personality. He actually reminds me a lot of Liam. They would get along.

I get my food. It's Friday, so I decide on a soda and a hot ham and cheese sandwich.

I get to the table and everyone is happy. I really only sit with them once or twice a week. It makes me feel good that they're happy when I join.

I sit in my normal spot, between Lance and Lana. Missy is across from me.

"You and I've got a problem" Missy says with a smile.

I notice several people tensing up.

"Oh yeah?" I ask as I take a sip of my soda.

"You still haven't agreed to run that marathon with me. We need to start training" she says as she takes a bite of her taco salad.

"How about we do weight training instead? Ever since my surgery I haven't done any. I don't want to commit to another marathon" I say, taking a bite of my sandwich.

"Ah man. Can I convince you to reconsider?" She asks.

"No. My ankle won't be able to handle another one" I say seriously.

She just nods, but doesn't say anything else.

Lunch is going good. Lana, Missy, and I are talking about Lana's big art project she's making her students do, when suddenly I see Jake.

What is with lunch and getting visitors? Nobody ever comes by during normal times. It's always during lunch. This table is cursed.

"Jake?"

"Ellie?" He says, matching my tone.

"What are you doing here, you bozo?"

"Eleanor Jane, you're supposed to be a role model. Soda for lunch, really?"

"Well you never come by when I'm eating a salad and drinking water"

"Uh huh" he scoffs.

"Ok, someone back me up"

Nobody says anything.

"Thanks, ya buncha traitors," I say, rolling my eyes.

I think people would have spoken up if Jake didn't look so big and scary.

"How many beautiful people do you know?" Missy finally asks.

I roll my eyes.

"Did you know you're beautiful, Jake?" I ask.

"Yup," he says, smirking.

"Is he single?" Missy asks, smiling at Jake.

"Nope," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Why are you here?"

"Um, can we talk in private for a minute?" He asks. His entire demeanor has changed.

"Uh oh. What's wrong?"

He looks at me hard for a second. "I'll tell you in private. You're going to kill me, and I don't want to look like a chump in front of a hundred people," he says, rolling his eyes.