~88~ Mirrors

Ellie's POV

I get to work on Monday, and Lance comes into the office right away.

"How did it go?" He asks gently.

I shake my head. "It was horrible. It ended up with my house getting destroyed and losing a brother" I say sadly. I never see Justin. Maybe once a year if I'm lucky. But he's my twin brother...There's still a bond.

"I'm sorry, Ellie" he says sadly. I can tell that he means it.

At lunch I sit in the lounge. I'm not in the mood for the cafeteria. I sit next to the older English teacher. He's very nice, he's just a little rough around the edges.

I also sit next to the physics teacher. She is about my age, but she doesn't have a lot of friends here. Her personality is a little different than most people. I think making friends is hard for her.

I enjoy my lunch, and I go back to work. I'm working on refilling my cabinet and doing inventory. Suddenly there's a knock on my door.

"Ellie, um, you've got a visitor" Lance says. His voice sounds wrong. I immediately get tense.

Lance and Nick are there, with Justin.

"What are you doing here?" I ask darkly.

Justin already looks like he could cry.

"Can we talk, please?" He begs.

"No" I say. "Can you make him leave, please?" I ask, looking at Lance.

Lance just nods.

"Ellie" Justin says, his voice cracking.

"I called Taylor. That's why Nick is here. He wanted two of us in here. Taylor is on his way" he says.

"No need. I'll leave until he's gone" I say as I push past Justin.

Justin grabs my hand and spins me around.

"Please. Please just let me explain" he says, a tear already falling down his face.

"The moment you put my children in danger is the moment you lost your right to explain" I say, my voice is lethal.

He shakes his head "They are not in danger. Mom isn't coming near you. Even if she did, Ellie, she's mom. She's the same person she always ways. She would never hurt anybody" he says quickly.

"She did hurt us. She hurt all of us. You want her back in your life, that's not my business. Let me guess, you told her where I work? Should I expect a visit from her next?" I ask, that thought paralyzing me.

"You need to let go of her now, before I make you" Nick says. I've never heard his voice so dangerous before.

Justin immediately let's go.

"Go back to California, Justin" I say as I go back to my cabinet and continue filling it.

"I went to Jake's first. He won't talk to me either. How did I lose both of you in one night? This is bullshit" he says, fighting tears.

I turn back around. "This is the first time I've seen true emotion out of you in over twenty years. Might want to quit, you'll crack your Botox" I say.

"Dad and I are coming back for Thanksgiving. Can we please try again? Please" he begs.

"Sorry, I don't know how to make vegan turkey" I say.

"Ellie, stop. I hurt you. I get it. I didn't get it then but I get it now. I promise you this will never happen again. When I was telling her everything, it made me realize that I know nothing real about you. Not anymore. She was wanting more information. She even asked if your favorite color was still orange, and I had absolutely no idea. She asked me if you still sang. I told her I hadn't heard you sing since she left. Do you still sing, Ellie?" He asks me. He truly wants to know the answer.