~169~ Working On Our Weakness

Luke's POV

I'm so mad. Instead of hanging out with my friends tonight, I have to come straight home and relieve Alex. I have to help babysit mom. This is so unfair.

School drags on. In 4th hour Owen is flirting with my sister until the bell rings. Then once West gives us time to work on our homework, he continues his flirting. Emma is eating it up. I've never seen her like this before. She's like, giddy, or something.

Mason looks at them once in a while and smirks.
Trace has been looking at them the whole time and he is not smirking...He's miserable.

I get to Biology after lunch and I'm one of the first ones in. I never get here so early but for some reason I did today.

Owen is here talking to his mom. Or rather, arguing with her.

"Mom, come on, this isn't fair. You told me I wasn't grounded anymore" he says. Neither of them have heard me yet.

"That was before I found out that you tricked your dad into taking you to the basketball game last week. I told you that you were still being restricted for another week, yet he wasn't under that same impression" she says darkly.

"He asked me if I wanted to go. I told him I did. How was that being deceptive?" Owen asks.

Ms. Hollister sighs. "Quit. You're honestly telling me that you didn't realize that you were breaking your restrictions?" She asks.

He slumps his shoulder. "No, ma'am. I knew. Can I just take her out on Friday?" He begs.

"Sorry. You've earned yourself one more week" she says.

"I've taken this girl out a total of one time, and I already have to cancel on her?" He asks with an attitude.

"Young man, do we need to add to your punishment? Because I can when we get home if you like. Or, if you would rather, I can have someone step in for me and we could go to the teacher's lounge for a few minutes" she says darkly.

Welp, I know what that means. Nice to know it's not just us and Trace that get it.

"No ma'am" he says sadly.

"Didn't think so. Get to class" she snaps as she hands him his pass.

He sighs and takes it, walking out quickly. He never even noticed me.

The rest of the day goes by slowly, and now I have to go home and babysit my mother.

I get in and mom and Alex are on the couch, watching Old Yeller. They're right at the part where he dies. Mom starts crying, and Alex chuckles as he kisses her hair.

"El, you picked this movie" he says, still laughing.

"So? This part gets me every time" she says, crying even harder.

"Want me to rewind it to where he's healthy again?" Alex asks.

Mom just nods. Alex rolls his eyes as he rewinds the movie. He gets to the part where Old Yeller is chasing a rabbit. "There, see, he's fine. The end" Alex says as he shuts the movie off.

Mom nods and wipes her eyes. "That's how they should have ended it. What sick freaks thought killing that poor thing was a good idea for a movie?" She asks.

Alex laughs and stretches out his legs. Then he sees me in the kitchen.

"Ah, perfect timing. I get to pass you off when you're sad. Sorry, Lukie Boy" he laughs.

"Thanks a lot" I gripe.

Mason walks in then and sees mom. "What's wrong?" He asks, concerned.

"Old Yeller died" Alex says.