Chapter 24: Hero Names

3rd Person POV

Today was a rainy day unlike the previous. Vanessa and Miku ran to school under their umbrellas, trying their best not to get their clothes or hair wet. And once they finally arrived at the classroom, Mina waved to the two girls and motioned them to come over.

"It's so weird that people recognize us from TV. Everyone wanted to talk to me on my way here." Mina placed her right hand pointer finger on her chin, grinning. "Yeah, me too!" Kirishima exclaimed to Mina.

"People on the street were staring at me! It was kind of embarrassing." Hagakure swayed, her hands on her chest. "Sure, but isn't that pretty normal for you?" Ojiro asked while smiling, and Vanessa let out a small chuckle at his response. "Miku and I got a lot of praise too, since everyone saw our crash in the race." "You mean you got praised." Miku groaned a sigh as she crossed her arms, making Vanessa roll her eyes as she placed a hand on her waist.  "So what if they praised me more... it doesn't matter."

"Well, I think you're lucky, Freitas. You won't believe what a bunch of elementary school brats yelled at me." Sero said, pointing at himself with his left hand thumb. "'Nice try'?" Tsuyu spoke up, which made Sero clutch his head with both hands and groan loudly. "Don't worry, Sero. I'll beat their bratty asses for you." Vanessa said with a crazed smirk and crossed arms, making both Sero and Kirishima laugh.

"All it took was one sports festival and suddenly we're like celebrities." Kaminari popped in. "This school really is amazing." Mineta added just a second before Aizawa opened the classroom door.

"Morning." the teacher told his students as he walked towards the front of the classroom. "Good morning, Mr. Aizawa!" the class responded, everyone now in their seats.

"Ribbit? Mr. Aizawa, you don't have bandages anymore. That's good news." Tsuyu spoke up, placing a finger to her chin. "The old lady went a little overboard in her treatment. Anyway, we have a big class today on Hero Informatics." There was a dramatic pause as Mr. Aizawa readied the news... and Vanessa began to panic if they were having a pop quiz. After a bit more dramatic silence, their teacher spoke up.

"You need codenames. Time to pick your hero identities."

The students began to cheer, but Aizawa was quick to silence the teenagers. "This is related to the pro hero draft picks that I mentioned the last time we were in class together. Normally, students don't have to worry about the draft yet. Not until their second or third year actually, but your class is different. In fact, by extending offers to first-years like you, pros are essentially investing in your potential. Any offers can be rescinded in their interest if you die down before graduation, though."

"So what you're saying is, we'll still have to prove ourselves after we've gotten recruited." Hagakure asked, not sounding so surprised. "Correct." Aizawa answered, "Now. Here are the totals for those of you who got offers."

Mr. Aizawa clicked his remote and the results showed. Todoroki had the most with 4123 offers. Bakugo had 3556, Vanessa had 1498, Miku 957, Tokoyami 360, Iida 301, Kaminari 272, Yaoyorozu 108, Kirishima 68, Uraraka 20, and Sero with 14.

"In past years, it's been more spread out. But there's a pretty big gap this time." Aizawa told the students. "Gah! That's no fair." Kaminari pouted, throwing his head backwards onto his chair. "What about the real star? Moi?" Aoyama said, being his usual self with his head resting on his palms.

"Todoroki got the most, ahead of Bakugo?" Jiro questioned, her interest in this conversation now piqued. "Yeah, it's the opposite of how they placed in the festival." Kirishima responded. "They probably weren't excited about working with the guy who had to be chained up at the end." Sero added, causing Miku to frown at the disturbing memory. "If I scared a pro, they're just weak!" Bakugo obnoxiously yelled at Sero.