Chapter 63: Ultimate Moves

Miku Yui's POV

Since our class was attacked by the League of Villains twice in one semester, the school brought its students to live on campus in order to keep watch over us. Our dorm, Heights Alliance, was a five minute walk from the main school building. Things were a little strange at first, not only living with Katsuki, Vanessa, and the squad, but with all my classmates. Yet once we finally settled into our new home... it was amazing.

Once the bell rang for the school day to start, Mr. Aizawa leaned forward over his podium with his hands grabbing the ends of the podium, "I believe I mentioned this already, but your main focus this summer is obtaining provisional hero licenses." "Yes, sir!" we all responded.

Mr. Aizawa leaned in closer, the most stern glare in his eyes, "Do not take this lightly. A hero license means that you're responsible for human lives. You can imagine that the exam to receive one is very difficult. Only 50 percent of students pass the tests required for these permits each year."

"It's that hard to get a provisional license?" Mineta whined from behind, but I only groaned. "Of course it is...idiot." I mumbled the last word with a roll of my eyes, crossing my arms against my chest. And in the corner of my eye, I noticed Katsuki swiftly turn his head away from our teacher, looking quite pouty.

"In order to prepare," our teacher motioned his finger to the door, "... today you'll concentrate on creating something new." The door immediately slid open, revealing Midnight, Cementoss, and Ectoplasm. "Two ultimate moves."

Kaminari and Kirishima were quick to shoot up out of their seats in excitement, "Ultimate moves?!" "An exam is a normal school thing. But this is total hero work!" Mina and Sero joined in with the three, all jumping up from their seats with cheers.

"When we say 'ultimate', we mean a move that will ensure you win against your opponent." Ectoplasm eagerly stated, his excitement matching the students'. Cementoss held up his index finger to the sky, "An action so unique to your identity that no other person can hope to copy it. Simply put, you must learn to lean into your strengths." "Your moves represent who you are. These days, most pro heroes have an ultimate move. Those who don't are fools." Midnight added in one of her fancy poses (looking as fabulous as always <3 ).

"This may sound abstract, but we'll explain more as the day goes on." Mr. Aizawa spoke up, his 'done-with-this-shit' personality not matching his fellow staff members, "For now, change into your costumes and meet in Gym Gamma."

~*~*~*~

We now stepped inside Gym Gamma with our hero costumes on, where the four teachers were waiting for us. "Gym Gamma, also known at the Academy as the "Training Dining Land", or TDL." Mr. Aizawa stated, and Vanessa leaned in close to my ear. "First the U.S.J., and now the T.D.L. They like their acronyms." I quietly chuckled with my hand over my mouth, not wanting to attract any attention to myself.

Cementoss placed his hand to the ground and created a mini stone representation of the area we would be soon using, "This facility was my idea. We can prepare unique terrains and obstacles for each student here. Here you will learn to serve up justice, hence it."

"That's pretty cool—" Kaminari added, but Iida quickly interrupted my friend by shooting his hand up to the sky, "Please allow me a question! What is the advantage of having ultimate moves for our provisional exam? May we know your reasoning??"

Mr. Aizawa gave our classmate a deadpan glare, "That's two questions. Calm down." I chuckled underneath my hand just as he continued, "The job of a hero is to save people from all sorts of dangers. Crime, accidents, and natural or man-made disasters. Of course, the licensing exam analyzes how well you're able to deal with such things. It won't just be fighting. Your ability to gather information and make quick decisions will be judged. In addition to how well you communicate, cooperate, and lead others. Every year a new test is used to evaluate these qualities."

Midnight now stepped forward, "One thing is especially important. If you want to be a pro hero, you must be able to prevail in battle. If you're prepared, you won't have to worry. And those of you with an ultimate move will have stronger results."

"Your circumstances should not dictate the results of your future battles. Learn to be consistent and you will be a great asset on the front lines." Cementoss added with a smile, then walking away from our class and the teachers.

"Your Ultimate Move doesn't necessarily have to be an attack. Take Iida's Reciproburst, for example. This sort of temporary boost in speed is valuable enough that it falls into the category of excellence we're looking for." Ectoplasm informed the class, causing Iida to look quite heart-warmed by his teacher. "You mean I've been doing an ultimate move all along?"

Beside me, Vanesa placed a finger to her chin, thinking out loud, "So, it's basically our secret technique... A move that gives us an advantage so we have a better chance at winning no matter who or what we're facing." Midnight winked at my bestie, "There's a smart girl. For example, how Kamui Woods is able to use his Lacquered Chain Prison to capture opponents in an instant. That's exactly what we want to see."

Mr. Aizawa looked around at all of us students, another stern look in his eyes but this one not as bad as earlier today, "The training camp was interrupted. But the practice you did get in to develop your Quirks was part of the process needed to create these defining abilities. Now that you're caught up—"

Cementoss used his Quirk to create multiple massive stone slabs across the entire gym. "—you'll be working hard to develop powerful moves of your own for the next ten days or so." Mr. Aizawa finished as Ectoplasm created many clones and spread them across the stone slabs.

"This is how you will spend the remainder of your summer vacation. Prepare for intensive training. In addition, you should think about how you can improve your costumes, especially now that you have a better understanding of your Quirks. I expect each of you to go Plus Ultra. Do you have it in you?" Mr. Aizawa glared right into our souls, and we all exclaimed in determination, "Yes, sir!"

~*~*~*~

I made my way to one of the tall, stone slabs, one of Ectoplasm's clones standing in front of me. "Do you have ideas on a possible ultimate move?" He asked me, and I held my hand to my chin in thought, "Well, there's been something I've been wanting to try..." "Which is?"

I paused with a deep breath, "I want to be able to fully control freezing all time around me with my mind. And after I master that, as an Ultimate Move, I want to be able to unfreeze specific people and objects with my mind in that frozen area."

The clone paused with a blank expression as usual... and I instantly panicked internally.

Shit, he probably thinks it's impossible!!

... Yet my doubts were lost to space when he nodded slowly, "All right, then. Let's start by managing a certain range of time around you."