Chapter 21: A Shocking Finale

3rd Person POV

The two finalists made their way onto the stage as Present Mic announced them. "The finals are finally here! From the hero course, we have, Shoto Todoroki! Versus: His classmate, also from the hero course, Katsuki Bakugo! Now... begin!"

As soon as Present Mic had started the battle, Todoroki slammed his right hand onto the floor and began to make a huge slab of ice over Bakugo. Bakugo used his explosions to blow up the ice, but ended up being caught in Todoroki's attack.

"Todoroki starts with a blazing ice blast!" Present Mic yelled as the ice began to crack. Bakugo created a hole through the ice and Todoroki leapt backwards, keeping his distance. Suddenly, the two rushed towards each other, which caught Vanessa by surprise since he was mostly a ranged fighter.

Todoroki thrust his right hand out at Bakugo, but he dodged it. He grabbed Todoroki's face, pushing his bangs up. "Idiot...!" he screamed at his opponent as he threw Todoroki, sending him flying across the stage. He quickly formed an ice wall to ride on as Bakugo came at him. Todoroki grabbed him with his left arm, and it felt like time froze itself.

"Use your left side!" Endeavor yelled to his son from the bottom seats, causing Vanessa to let out a shaken gasp in fear. The two boys looked at the number two hero as Todoroki lightly threw Bakugo onto the ground. He landed and looked up at his enemy.

"I'll kill you!" He yelled for the entire stadium to hear. "I don't want there to be any doubt that I'm the best student at the festival! That's only possible if you come at me as hard as you can!"

Todoroki's left arm and head flew to the ground and Bakugo smirked evilly. "C'mon, what would Freitas have to say about this?! Use your fire!" Todoroki gasped and looked at Bakugo. He used my words against me... he thought before clutching his hands into fists, his head still hanging down.

When Vanessa had heard Bakugo scream this, she couldn't believe her ears. Why did he mention me?! Vanessa turned to look at Miku who was also shocked about what the man had said. Without thinking, Vanessa grabbed her megaphone and shot out of her seat, clenching a fist to her side as she yelled, "Come on, Todoroki! Don't give up! Do your best!"

Todoroki's eyes drastically widened. In that moment, his heart beated faster and faster with determination.

Determination to make Freitas proud of him.

... And he snapped.

He burst into flames and Bakugo was quite pleased at this. Bakugo turned himself into a human missile and launched himself at Todoroki. He held out his left side, ready to fight with his fire, but when Bakugo came close to him, he stared at his flaming hand, guilt filling him.

I can't... it's not right—

Bakugo blew up the entire stadium along with Todoroki, leaving a smoky gust of wind filling the arena. Present Mic stood up and pointed his finger in excitement, "Wo-oooh! Bakugo combines speed and his explosions in a huge blast like he used against Uraraka! He turned himself into a human missile!"

When all the fog was cleared up front the attack, Vanessa and Miku gasped in utter shock at they saw the scene below them. Todoroki was out of bounds, passed out on his ice. Bakugo rushed up towards Todoroki and lifted him up by the shirt.

"You! Stop messing around! This isn't a real win for me unless you try harder! It can't end this way! Now get up!..." Bakugo let out a grunt as he fell asleep by Midnight's sleeping gas. "Todoroki is out of bounds. That means, Bakugo is the winner!" Midnight announced and the entire stadium burst into cheers.

Tears began to form in Vanessa's emerald eyes, her hands still clasped on her mouth. She didn't even bother to wipe them away. Miku stood there frozen. She was incredibly happy that Bakugo had won, but all she could do was stand there. She hugged Vanessa and rubbed her back, wanting to calm the brunette's panic.