Chapter 27: Not Just Your Battle

3rd Person POV

"Look at that. Even more people to get in my way. Today's been full of distractions." Stain scoffed.

The boy held up his phone to show the location of the battle sent to him, "Midoriya, you need to give more details in times like this. I was almost too late to stop this guy." Todoroki stated, the look in his eyes stern as he found himself staring into a pair of shimmering emerald eyes.

He was grateful he had just made it on time... or else Vanessa would've—

He instantly shoved those thoughts into the back of his head.

He refused to think of a world where he failed to save her.

"You too, Todoroki?" Iida gasped, panicked that so many people were doing their best to protect him. He really didn't want more of his classmates to bleed for him.

"S-Shoto...? How did you..." Vanessa stared at him in shock, bewildered that Todoroki was also in Hosu but unable to finish her sentence. "You're using your left side?" Midoriya asked, feeling both shocked and proud of his friend.

"Midoriya." Todoroki sternly replied to his friend, "Your message took me a while to figure out. Next time, try to send more than just your specific location."

So that's how he got here. Midoriya sent him a message before we arrived, Vanessa thought to herself just as Todoroki continued, "But you're not really one to send cryptic messages without a reason, are you?"

Shoving his phone into his pocket, Todoroki sent a wave of ice that lifted up the pro hero, Iida, Midoriya, Miku, and Vanessa off the ground and away from the battle field. "So I figured you were in trouble and asking for help. Everything's okay. The pro heroes will be here any minute...!" He stated as he ran towards Stain, sending a blast of fire at the villain. Stain dodged the attack and Todoroki's ice melted from the fire blazing its direction, causing Midoriya and the pro to slide down it. Iida, Midoriya, and the pro were now behind Todoroki, yet Vanessa and Miku were still behind Stain since they were paralyzed further away from the boys.

"You're just what they said you were. But you won't be taking any more lives, Hero Killer." Todoroki declared, bringing his aflame left hand to his chest.

"Todoroki! You can't let that guy get your blood. I-I think he controls his enemy's actions by swallowing it— That's how he got us!" Midoriya yelled to his friend. "He ingests blood to keep people from moving... That explains the blades. All I've gotta do is keep my distance." Todoroki told himself but his eyes frantically widened when a knife slashed across his skin where the bottom of his burn scar lay.

Stain leapt up, ready to take on Todoroki. "Ya have many good friends, Ingenium. Or you did!" Stain exclaimed when he was blocked from Todoroki by his ice. He threw his sword skyward and grabbed onto Todoroki's collar. He attempted to lick the bleeding scar at the bottom of his burn scar, but Todoroki slashed him away with a fire wall. The teen boy sent a wave of ice that Stain easily dodged, before breaking the ice with his blade just as Todoroki sent another wave of ice that he dodged.

The two continued to fight when they suddenly heard Iida desperately yell from the ground, "The Hero Killer is mine!" "You're Ingenium now? Strange." Todoroki bluntly stated, although there was a hint of disappointment to his voice. "The Ingenium I knew before never had a look like that on his face. You've got a dark side. Guess my family isn't the only one."

"Careful, Todoroki!" Midoriya grunted; Even though he believed in his friend's abilities. "Don't do anything reckless, Shoto...!" Vanessa yelled from behind Stain and Todoroki nodded to her.

Stain now sliced away all of Todoroki's ice and madly smirked, "Ya blocked your own field of vision against an opponent who's faster than you. Rookie mistake." he bragged, making Todoroki growl under his breath. "Come get me then!" He ignited his fire but two sharp metal bars impaled his left arm. Todoroki grunted at the pain, and a sharp gasp left Vanessa's lips.