Heroes Rising - Chapter 5: Why I Became a Hero

Vanessa Freitas' POV

I woke up this morning surprisingly in a good mood, which never happens if I wake up before noon.

Shoto was already doing whatever he needed to, so I had the entire room to myself to get ready and use all the space I needed to do. I erased the drawing of myself off my arm, brushed my teeth, took my meds, and put on my hero costume. I then exited the room, locked the door behind me, and slowly made my way over to the elevator. Thank the lord there was at least one.

Mina, Toru, Aoyama, Ojiro, and Yao-Momo were all working at their own separate computers. I was allowed to get out of bed later and finish work earlier than our other classmates since I'm on crutches and need more rest. Plus, Shoto scared them all, so even if they didn't allow it, they'd be badly sorry.

"Morning, everyone...!" I waved over to my classmates and they all greeted me back, but Mina was, of course, the loudest. "Good morning, Nessa~!" She squealed, her bright smile stretching for miles.

I now made my way over to the kitchen to find Midoriya making a sandwich. I stood beside him and took four pancakes out of the freezer, "Gotta have a quick breakfast, eh?"

"Oh!" Midoriya slightly jumped with widened eyes, and I guessed that he just noticed me. "Good morning, Freitas...!" "Good morning." I grinned in response, "Sorry for scaring you." "Oh, it's no problem at all." Midoriya replied with a kind smile as he got back to making his breakfast.

Next to him, I put my frozen pancakes into the toaster and started the machine up, before turning to my friend with a friendly smile, "What are you doing today?" "I'm going over to the Negima's to help them with the fields." Midoriya glanced over at me, "What about you?" "Well, I gotta do my daily noon patrol and workout for my thigh. Then, I'll probably help Miku with Quirk training."

Midoriya gave me a sweet smile, his eyes holding such a kind look to them that made my heart warm up, "That's really nice of you, Freitas." I sighed in embarrassment, "Well, I got no choice. She passed out last night due to Quirk exhaustion from using her Time Shield."

I slammed my clenched left fist onto the counter with a loud bang!, full of determination, "So, I've made it my duty to make sure it's much easier for her to use her Time Shield in emergencies and not have to suffer as much for it."

I looked the green haired boy in the eyes, both of our eyes locking with pure determination. I nodded and he returned the nod. The toaster suddenly began beeping to signal that my pancakes were finished. I sent Midoriya a sweet smile before I grabbed the pancakes, wrapped them in a towel, shoved them under my arm, and walked to the entryway.

"I'll see you, Midoriya! Have fun with the fields!" "Thank you...!" Midoriya let out a chuckle along with his closed-eye sweet smile, "Take it easy with your training...!" "No promises!" I finished with a chuckle as I waved off.

I slowly made my way over the couch that Yao-Momo sat down on while trying my best not to drop the pancakes on the floor. I took my seat on the other side of the couch. Placing my crutches beside me, I pulled out my phone and scrolled through Instagram as I munched on my breakfast.

"Good morning, Vanessa." Yao-Momo spoke up to me with a smile and I smiled back, "Morning, Yao-Momo." I took another bite out of my first pancake.

"Hey, Yao-Momo?" "Yes?" she looked up from her computer, and I grinned nervously, "Are there... you know... any missions I can take on?"

Yao-Momo's eyes widened slightly before a stern yet concerned expression formed on her face, "You should take it easy, Vanessa. We can handle the more difficult tasks."