Chapter 83: Taking a Toll

3rd Person POV

It was now the Monday of next week, meaning a whole five days had passed since Aizawa had suddenly burst into the dorms to reveal Hawk's work study invitation for Tokoyami and the requests from Nejire Hado and Tamaki Amajiki.

And after the five students who had been requested from those two members of the Big Three went over to the third year dorms to get their information...

It turned out they wanted them for work studies!

Nejire had invited Miku, Ochaco, and Tsuyu to come do a work study with her and Ryukyu, while Tamaki had invited Vanessa and Kirishima to come do a work study with him and Fat Gum.

Fortunately for them, it wasn't too hard to get through all the paperwork. And now today was officially the first day of their work studies!

... Meaning that they were absent from school. And that they would end up missing days.

However, since there were excused absences for work studies, the school provides extra classes for the work study students to catch up on what they missed.

Besides, even if work studies were amazing to have on your resume, some students wouldn't want to go on work studies if it meant they missed a lot of school and would have to learn all the material—like Vanessa.

After all, they needed to pass their tests.

It was a quiet morning. Todoroki hadn't had the best sleep, but it wasn't something he could complain about.

Unplugging his phone from his phone charger, he did the first thing he did every morning: text his girlfriend.

Not only did talking to her as soon as he woke up started his day off well, but it also helped ensure she was awake. There was actually a time that she had slept in because her phone alarm clock didn't work and he was able to go to her room and wake her up, preventing her from being late to class.

Shoto Todoroki
Good morning, my love. Good luck on your first day with you and Kirishima's work study

He found himself staring at the phone for a couple of seconds, eagerly awaiting the little three dots to appear on the other side of the screen to indicate she was typing back... or even for a 'Read'... since she always responded rather quickly to his texts.

However, neither came.

Placing his phone down, he decided to get ready for school. And after he got dressed, he made sure to re-patch up his face, arms, and hands. The remedial lessons had been so tough yesterday that it left his body bruised, including his face.

Five minutes had passed, and now that he was all ready for school, Todoroki picked up his phone—

But no text back.

... He frowned.

Maybe she's just busy? He thought to himself. After all, the work study students had left the dorms for their agencies at six in the morning while everyone was still asleep, meaning that his love and his redheaded classmate were probably riding on a train somewhere with their indigo-haired senpai.

He decided to send another text, hoping maybe she would see this one and therefore notice the first text.

Shoto Todoroki
I'm excited to hear all about your day

Breathing in through his nose, Todoroki shoved his phone into his pocket, grabbed his bookbag, put on his school shoes, and headed out the door.

To everyone else in the dorm, it was a normal morning, even if five of their classmates were not present.