Chapter 33: The Practical Exam

Vanessa Freitas' POV

It was finally time for our exam and I was EXTREMELY nervous. Jiro and I were now in the forest training area, which made me sulk. "I'm bad at fighting in cramped spaces. It's like they choose this stage while thinking of my weaknesses." I told my partner as I sat down on a log. I slammed my face into my palms and groaned louder. I heard Jiro sigh just as we heard the buzzer go off. "Team Jiro and Freitas. Practical exam. Ready, go!" the announcer stated... and panic consumed me.

"Oh, crap, Jiro— What are we gonna do?!" "Calm down, Freitas." She reassured me, and I tried to slow down my heavy breathing. "Let's avoid combat with Present Mic if possible and head straight for the escape gate. Sound good?" she asked me, and I let out a nervous hum. "Then let's hit it." Jiro told me, as we began to run down the dirt path.

We ran for some time until we heard Present Mic let out a loud, "Yeah!" Jiro and I instantly covered our ears with our hands to try and resist the deadly noise... Until, suddenly, the voice stopped... and we both took our hands off our ears.

"Freitas! You can draw anything and make it come to life with your Quirk, right?!" she asked me desperately, and I nodded, "Yes, I can." "Okay, draw something to attack him or something." "We don't know where he is. Besides, his soundwaves could probably rip my drawings apart since they're so loud." I replied nervously. Jiro grunted as she thought out loud, "His shouts make me feel like my eardrums are gonna burst. He's not just better than I'd thought he'd be. He's like a super-powered death amp. A speaker of doom!"

We continued to run across the dirt path until Jiro spoke up once again, "There's no way we can get close to him. And even if we could, he'd probably see us coming. I bet he's just standing at the gate waiting for us!"

As if on cue, Present Mic sent another yell screaming, "Come out! I'm getting bored!" We once again covered our ears and I dug my heels into the ground, struggling to keep my small body from being blown away from the intense sound waves.

The sound waves eventually stopped... but we quickly had to cover our ears again when they reappeared. "Hurry up already!" We removed our hands and stood up from the ground, bracing the intense sounds head-on.

"Any more of this and we might go deaf. So, what now?" "I don't know! I can try getting close to him—!" I stated quickly as I immediately ran off from my partner. "Wait, Freitas—!" "There you are!" Present Mic screamed and I immediately covered my ears. Jiro then canceled out our teacher's voice with her sonic bursts and she ran up to me.

"Do you have a plan, Freitas?" I looked down at the ground and sadly shook my head, "What should we—?" "Let's make some noise!" Jiro started but was cut off by Present Mic's Quirk. "Freitas! Just tell me if it's possible for you to draw something that can withstand Present Mic's blasts or not, okay?" I gripped my shorts and thought hard for a second... when it suddenly hit me.

A soft gasp leaving my lips, I breathed out the air I was holding in. "Y-Yes... There is actually something I could create... but I'll need some soft soil." "Good." Jiro nodded, before plugging her Earphone Jack into a rock and breaking it open.

I took a deep breath and pulled out my drawing book, until Present Mic let out an ear-rupturing, "Hey!" We both held our ears once again until the sound quickly went away.

"Whatever you need to pull off, you need to do so quick. We still have a chance." Jiro sternly told me, though I could hear the sheer panic in her voice. "But, what if it doesn't work—! I've never tried out an attack like this yet." I began to sweat profusely, feeling my shirt stick to my skin. "You can do it. You wanna be a hero, don't you?" Jiro removed her right hand from her ear and gave me a reassuring smile, "If so, then we gotta pass!"