Chapter 68: The Not-So Calm Before the Storm

Vanessa Freitas' POV

After the four of us hit our targets, Mera's voice rang once more. "That's 79 people. Everyone's moving at an exhaustive pace now."

"Well, that was fast." I chuckled, but was interrupted by a computer voice ringing from the targets pressed to our bodies. "Students who have passed the exam should congregate in the anteroom. Chop, chop."

~*~*~*~

Our group of four began our trip to the anteroom, and when we were about to step in... I heard a WAY all-too familiar voice.

"Aw, yeah! Class A represent!" Denki ran up to us, his fist pumped in the air. "Oh, you know it! Our class is amazing! We did it!" Ochaco stopped to cheer, her and Hanta joining in with Denki and Eijiro for a mini-party.

My heart beat began to pound faster as I looked around anxiously. Where the hell is she—

"MIKU!" I sprinted into my best friend's arms, and she quickly caught me with an excited chuckle, "Oh my God, Vanessa— We both passed!" "Oh my GOD I think I'm gonna die from happiness." Miku laughed hard at my hyperbole, and I joined in on the laughter. However, a certain thought popped into my head, and I stepped back from our embrace. "Wait. So, what happened to you after Shindo's attack?"

"Well..." she sighed as she crossed her arms, "I was on my own, so I headed to the city area. When I got there, I heard explosions and loud yelling so I followed the noise and found Katsuki, Kirishima, and Kaminari. What about you?"

I stuttered, trying to find the best way to put what happened. "Well, Hanta and I ended up together. We were a duo for a while until we heard Midoriya scream. We decided to follow his yelps and ran into Ochaco on the way, who also had heard his voice. We all defeated the crazy psycho-chick from Shiketsu that was attacking Midoriya. We then hid behind some debris for a while before coming up with a plan to get some points. And fortunately, the plan worked so now I'm here."

Miku stood there in shock, her face blank. She quickly shook her head back and forth, snapping out of a phase. "Sorry. Didn't expect a literal essay from you." "Har, har." I sarcastically laughed as I playfully rolled my eyes, punching her arm, "You should've expected it, though. You know it's what I do best."

"Hey, Miku, come on already!" Bakugo screamed at Miku with a scoff as he walked away from Midoriya, who looked quite spooked. I wonder if he's okay... Maybe Bakugo said something to him?

"And take McDrawer with you." he added, and I stood there while innocently pointing a finger to my chest. "Oh, so now I'm the Bakumiku child, huh." "S-Shut up...!" Miku swatted me away with a pout, making me giggle cutely.

~*~*~*~

When the eight of us finally stepped inside, Yao-Momo was quick to rush up to us with a relieved smile on her face. "Oh, hey! What a relief. I was starting to get so worried!"

"No need to worry about us, Yao-Momo!" Denki waved over to the girl, while she continued to eat. Miku and Katsuki decided to go together to take off their targets, and since Eijiro, Hanta and Denki went together... I was left alone, standing there by myself.

Due to my social anxiety, I was too scared to go alone to remove them. So, I thought that I should be able to find Shoto around here. No doubt he must've already passed.

I walked around, observing the students around me while trying to look for red and white hair. Fortunately for me, it didn't take me too long to find him. He was talking with Midoriya, then looking over to Tsuyu and Ochaco's conversation...

Mwahaha, I chuckled evilly internally. Perfect time to surprise him...!

Stepping on my tip-toes in my heels, since I could do that due to my experience as a ballerina, I quietly approached the group. Midoriya noticed me over my shoulder and just as his mouth opened, I quickly told him to shush by holding my index finger to my lips. Fortunately, he quickly looked back to my boyfriend, and I sighed in relief. Thank you for not blowing my cover, Midoriya...