Hold You Close

Yosuke's POV:

I find myself shoulder barging Kanji, and knocking Rise out of my way.

"Yosuke!" Chie yells at me from below. "You can't just do that!"

I ignore her, ascending the stairs. I see his bedroom door open a crack, and I knock gently.

He doesn't seem to hear me over his conversation, so I knock again; louder, this time.

"Shit," I hear him whisper.

"It's alright," Naoto assures him. "I'll take care of him."

Suddenly, I'm greeted with her face, and I step back slightly, where she then shuts the door behind us.

"Get out of my way," I demand.

"I'm afraid I can't do that," she folds her arms.

"Get out of my way," I repeat. "Now."

"I have orders to keep you out of the room," she says.

"I don't care," I tell her. "Let me in."

"Yosuke-kun?" I hear a small voice behind me.

"Nanako-chan?" I say, turning around, startled.

"Why is everybody shouting?" She asks softly.

"It's fine, Nanako-chan," Naoto says. "Don't worry about it."

"Rise-chan said she was gonna be back up soon to help me with my homework..."

"She'll be here soon enough," I smile.

She looks around us, at Yu's bedroom door. "Is everything alright with big bro?"

"He's fine," Naoto chuckles. "You don't have to worry about your big brother."

"I know," she smiles gleefully. "He's the strongest person I know."

And, with that, she turns back around and heads into her own room, once again.

I let out a sigh of relief. I can't let Nanako worry about him; she's only a kid. She doesn't deserve to know all that he's been through - it would only crush her.

"Yosuke, the hell you think you're doin'?!" Kanji says, running up the stairs behind us.

"Tell her to let me in," I say. I'm starting to get pissed now.

"I've told you already: I can't," Naoto sighs.

"Dude, just back off, okay? If he doesn't want to see you, you can't force him to," Kanji shakes his head.

"He does want to see me," I protest, balling my fist.

"No, Yosuke, he doesn't," Kanji snaps. "Just leave him alone, for cryin' out loud."

"Kanji-kun is right. He needs to rest," Naoto adds.

"So he's injured?" I ask, feeling my heart suddenly become heavy.

Neither say anything.

I walk into them both, their shield against the door splitting into a Yosuke-sized hole.

"Aw, shit," Kanji says, behind me, now.

As I walk into his room, I see him laying down on his futon, trying his best not to move an inch.

"I know you're awake," I say, kinda annoyed, standing beside him.

No reply.

"Yu, I'm not stupid," I say. "I heard you moments ago. Get up."

Reluctantly, he sits up, carefully and quietly, keeping his covers over him.

"Are you okay?" I ask,  suddenly feeling embarrassed that I just barged into his house - into his room, without permission.