I Won't Give Up On You

Yu's POV:

Once Shin and I arrive at school, I see Yosuke walking up ahead.

"Yosuke!" I call. He turns his head, but doesn't respond. I run up to him, trying to give him no escape from me. "Hey," I smile, slowing down.

He still doesn't reply. "Can I ask you something?" I ask. No reply. "Sorry," I sigh. "Are you still mad at me?"

"I never said I was--" He pauses, staring straight at me. "Yes. I'm still mad at you."

"Oh," I sigh. "What can I do to make things right?"

"Nothing, Yu. Just go, okay?"

"I'm not giving up on you."

"Well, you're an idiot."

"I'm not. I don't give up so easily on people who mean the most to me."

He stops for a second.

"Like I said, you're an idiot."

"Maybe. But I don't care," I shrug.

"Leave."

"Why are you being like this? You were fine with me yesterday," I snap.

"Fuck off," he yells.

"No, I won't fuck off," I say.

"Narukami, calm down," Shin runs up behind me, holding my arm.

"It's not..." I begin. But I stop when I feel the tears clog up in my throat. "Fair," I finally finish.

"Fuck off," he repeats, trying to get the message through.

"You can't tell me what to--"

"Fuck off! Don't make me say it again!"

I open my mouth to speak, but pause when I feel Shin's thumb rubbing circles on the back of my hand.

Yosuke's eyes dart to the motion, just before he leaves.

"Well, shit," I say, beneath my breath.

"Why're you so hung up on him?" Shin turns to face me. "You're better than that."

"You wouldn't understand." I shake his hand from mine.

"I care about you, okay?" He turns my face to look at him. "Open your eyes, Narukami. There are so many better people you can surround yourself with."

I sigh. I don't agree with him, but I don't want him to ask any further questions.

The bell rings, and we head to class.

~~~

I sit down beside Chie, my head in my hands.

"What happened last night?" She asks.

"Wh- what?!" I stammer, suddenly sitting up straight.

"You left with Shin?"

"Y-yeah," I cough.

"Why?"

"He was just... worried about me, that's all." I rub my lips with both my index and middle finger, trying to rub away the kiss from last night.

"You coulda told us," she shrugs.

"You're right. I'm sorry."

"Eh, forget about it." She turns slightly, looking at me. "It seems you and Shin-san have become real close, huh?"

"Hm?" I widen my eyes. "Y-yeah?"