Wavelength

Yosuke's POV:

I can't wake him. I mean, shit, man... I can't.

He's been so tired having to put up with all my crap lately. He deserves his rest.

...But I know he'll hate me if I leave.

The honest truth? I wanna go to the graveyard.

It's late night, so I won't get disturbed. I won't get asked questions, or anything like that. I'll just be alone.

I don't want to go just to see Shin, though. I want to visit Hayate, too.

He was officially buried back in the city, but I made a small memorial for him here in Inaba. I used to visit him all the time, but I haven't been there since Yu came back. Ha... I hope he doesn't think I've forgotten about him.

I sit up, carefully lifting his arm off my chest and returning it back to his side. He groans a little, shuffling himself back to comfort.

I look down at him, smiling. My hand moves to his hair, and I begin to mess it all up, just so I'll have something to laugh about in the morning.

His head twitches slightly, and I try to cover my grin.

God...

I can't believe he wants me to stay.

I mean, I'm homeless, sure, but... To skip everything and live under the same roof? I thought he'd have his reservations, honestly.

Not that I'm not grateful. I'm glad, really. It's just... the idea of him honoring me even after I blamed him for Shin's death.

'Cause if he goes all soft on me, it means he'll go all soft on the next person, too.

And I don't want that. I don't want people to take advantage of him. I want him to stand his ground. But sometimes all he wants is to see somebody smile.

Damn. I could never be like him.

I guess that's a good thing, 'cause all the lovelorn fools in Inaba wouldn't know what to do. Though it's kinda a bad thing because he'll always be the better person.

Sure, he has his moments, but... Overall? He's the one with the kind soul. He's the one who decided to think things over when I wanted to throw Namatame into the TV. He was the one who decided to let Adachi live, when I was so willing to leave him to rot.

He's... precious. That's one way to say it.

There's never gonna be someone like him again. And to think that I know him? That I love him? I should feel special. Hell, I do, but... I feel like I should be a better person. Someone who can truly match up to him.

I slump back onto his arm, listening to his light snoring.

I turn my head to look at him, watching his mouth closely.

"Fuck," I groan, burying my head into his neck.

He's everything I've ever wanted. He's done so much for me. What the hell have I done to deserve it?

When he realizes that I'm helpless... That I can't live without him..

"Fuck," I whisper again, clutching my head in my hands.

~~~

Yu's POV:

"Yosuke?" I mumble, blinking my eyes open. "Hey, what's the matter?" I ask, startled, watching the tears roll down his cheeks.

"I... I don't know," he sobs.

"Hey, hey, it's alright," I say, turning his body into mine; holding my hands firmly around his neck.