Always Be Yourself

Yosuke's POV:

It feels so similar, and yet so much better at the same time.

Yu coos me to stop my crying. When I try to speak, my voice only cracks, and I break down again.

He doesn't mind; he sits with his arms around me, each time with a tighter squeeze.

He's cold. His whole body is freezing. But that's okay. 'Cause I'm here to warm him up. To block out the cold — to block out Shin.

This is more comforting that Giichi ever was. This time... it's right.

I told him the truth, so why do I feel so guilty? I ratted my brother out, but isn't that what he deserves?

I can't stand seeing his fucking face after what he did. When Yu told me they were dating, I wanted to tell him everything right there and then. But I couldn't find it in myself... I guess it was more a grief to have lost him to my brother than anger.

"It hurts, dammit," I mumble into his shoulder.

"You've lost so much, Yosuke," he whispers, gently kissing the top of my head. "I wish I could make it all better."

"I fucked up, didn't I?"

"You were in shock," he says. "There's nothing more you could have done."

"I just... really fucking miss him, you know?"

"I know." He rubs his hand up and down my back. "But I'm here now, right? And I know I can't replace him, but I'll always be here for you. Even when you hate me."

"Haha, you're still talking about that?" I crack a smile.

"It really hurt when you said that, you know?" He shrugs.

"...I'm sorry."

"That was like losing you for the first time. I don't think I can go through that again."

"You won't have to," I nod. "I'll never leave your side."

"Even when you get married?"

I want to get married to you, dumbass.

"Even when I get married," I confirm.

"What if I stand up and say 'I object'?" He smirks.

"Then I'd run into the crowd to find your arms."

"Heh, I was hoping you'd say that," he chuckles. "Hey, look -- I made you smile."

"That's something you never fail to do."

"I love your smile."

"Shut up," I groan.

"I'm serious. It emits such a bright light. I can't help but mirror you."

"Okay, okay, quit the poetic crap," I scoff.

"Sorry," he mumbles. "I- I don't know why I'm being so awkward."

Is... this the time? The time when everything fits together?

"Thank you for telling me," he says. "That... can't have been easy for you."

I shake my head. "I'd trust you with my life, you know?"

He smiles softly. "Hey, want to do something with me tomorrow?"

"Like what?"

"There's this great restaurant a few minutes away," he suggests.

"Oh, really?" I grin.