Growing

Caera Denoir

"So, I can move this striker here and take your Sentry?" Nithe asked from across the table as we were playing Sovereign's Quarrel. I nodded my head. "Then do this, and I win?" I watched as he moved a piece, then I realized he was right, he had won.

"Are you sure you never played this game before?" I asked him, leaning back in the chair I was in. We were in Seris's estate, the only other people here were Fenyir and Alaric, but he wasn't with us, he was in his room drinking. He spoke to Seris about what he believed was something she could do to support her claim, and she liked it, he was shaking the entire time he spoke to her, but he managed, he was mostly drunk.

"Nope, I have never played it." He said, looking at me with his golden eyes, reminding me so much of Grey. "Did you just take it easy on me?" He asked, and as I was shaking my head no, someone walked into the room, it was Fenyir, the maid, the head maid I should say, she was the only maid left here.

"Nithe, Lady Caera." Fenyir said, bowing to us, bowing to Nithe directly. "I have word from Cylrit." I stood up, Nithe didn't move, his eyes just stared at Fenyir, waiting for a response. Cylrit was at the border, a different one from Seris, waiting for the nobles we met with to show up.

"And?" I asked, looking at her. "Did they show?"

"It appears the first person that was there was Maylis with her troops, then Lord Seabrook and Lord Redwater." Fenyir told us, that's huge, those are three big families, with a lot of money, and a lot of troops. "The others have not shown, but the defenses in the city at the east boarder has grown significantly now."

"That is great to hear." I said, smiling at the maid as she nodded her head. Nithe didn't react, but that was his normal expression when it came to things like this, I learned that pretty quickly. "We still need those other Bloods though to join, let's hope they show up today."

"If they don't, they are either against us, or dead, killed by Agrona's troops." Nithe said, then looked at Fenyir. "Is that it?" She nodded, then left us, shooting Nithe a weird look, but I heard that she was in the Relictombs with Virion, so she probably found NIthe to be a strange being.

"This is good news." I said, taking my seat again, looking at Nithe. "Our force is growing, of course, we still probably couldn't take on a vritra force, well, we probably will never be able to, but at least we'll be able to fight against a normal army like the one currently outside of Sehz-Clar."

"I don't see why Seris doesn't let me go and kill them." Nithe shook his head in a disapproving way. "It would make it so we could spread out our defenses even more." I leaned forward, grabbing the pitcher of water and poured myself a glass, I could see Nithe staring at me as I did, most likely waiting for me to respond.

"You know those are just soldiers following orders." I told him, leaning back, taking a sip out of my glass. "This is a rebellion against the Vritra, not them, but she knows that some of them are going to have to die, the soldiers down there."

"Yeah, I know." Nithe said, nodding his head. "I just, well, I guess it doesn't matter." He leaned back and crossed his legs, looking towards the balcony. "Haha." Nithe laughed out of the blue, causing me to look at him with a confused expression, wondering what was going on. "I'm sorry, that, sorry."

"What is it?" I asked, but he held a hand up to me, so I asked again. "What is it? You can't just laugh, and then not say anything. Did I spill something on my chest?" I looked down, but I didn't see anything.

"No." Nithe shook his head. "I just received message from my father, he was looking for aid in Xyrus, it appears as if in their battle to retake it, Agrona sent five hundred half-breeds, not Wraiths, to take them out."