A Long Conversation

"Veer, Arthur told me this morning that you handled yourself well out there, you were able to control yourself?" My mother asked me, sitting around our dinner table was Ellie, my father, and her. It's been a day since the mission, we had just returned back from Blackbend last night, switching places with the Twin Horns, allowing them to deal with the city while we prepare to take the next one.

"Mom, I can always control myself." I said sarcastically from beside my father who simply shook his head with a smile on his face. "What?" I asked my father, but I couldn't even keep a serious expression to myself, I started to laugh. "Haha."

"This isn't something we should be joking about." My mother said as she drank some tea. "Your sanity and well-being are important to us, I don't need my son, no matter how strong, becoming a monster."

"Mom." I said, but I didn't get to say the rest of what I was thinking.

"What are you saying?" Ellie asked. "He is a monster!" She exclaimed, looking at me with a smile. "In a good way, he is our monster." We exchanged head nods; my mother though didn't seem to like that opinion on the topic.

"You know what she meant." My father rested a hand on my shoulder. "We only want what is best for you, and I understand that you need to fight in this war, but managing how you do that is our job."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm tired of that." I waved it off. "Let's change the subject." Everyone fell silent, but they understood that I was getting annoyed with all this worrying about my sanity shit, it's been like that for a while, don't they realize that I'm never going to get better.

"Ellie was with Prince Curtis all day yesterday while you were gone." My mother told me and I felt my fist tighten as I looked from my mother to my sister who was blushing. "They were alone in the palace planning the restructuring of Etistin."

"What?!" I exclaimed, looking at my sister, my eyes wide. "No, I disapprove, I like Curtis, but no, you can't date him." I saw my father smile as I said those words, but Ellie just looked at me in annoyance.

"That isn't for you to decide, Veer, and we were just talking about the rebellion, nothing more, I don't like Curtis like that." She told me, but by the response, she does like him, she is lying to herself. "I am your older sister, I worry and get to choose who you date, not the other way around."

"Tch." I waved it off, causing both my parents to laugh. "Oh fuck." I said out loud, which stopped my mother from laughing, her face got serious as she turned to me, but before she could yell at me, I held up my hands. "My bad, a thought just came back to me, I'm sorry for cursing."

"Watch your mouth." She still said, and I nodded my head, all the power in the world and I still feel weak when my mother yells at me. "Ellie, we were only joking, we know you were just going over plans with Prince Curtis."

I stood up, and their attention turned to me. "Where are you going?" My father asked as I pushed in my chair. The reason I said fuck was because I remember something, I was told to go and speak to Kathyln like a week ago and I kind of forgot, I mean, I'm not into her or anything, but I still would like to chat, she is a lot like me in a sense.

"I'm not mad at you for cursing, Veer, if you are upset." My mother grabbed my arm from my other side. "I just don't want you to, please, stay with us for a little longer." I took a step towards my mother, leaning down and laying my head on her shoulder as she wrapped an arm around my neck. My horns were just in the right place, so they weren't hurting her at all, I knew they wanted to spend more time with me, but I wanted to go and see Kathyln.

"I'll be back." I said, then kissed my mother's cheek. "I just have to see someone." I told her as I backed up my head, then shot everyone a smile. "It's late anyways, I'm sure they aren't going to want to stay up."