Fallen Lances

We have been walking for quite some time now, and all I want to do is get out of here. I'm trying to be a good sport with everything, but I think it was starting to slip, well, it was until we arrived at one of the last groups.

"Tess!" Ellie called out, and as we stood there, Arthur stepped up in I think excitement. I could feel the white core mage of Tessia behind one of the walls up ahead, and eventually, after Ellie said her name one more time, she came out. "Tess!"

"El." Tessia said from within the darkness, I guess I was the only one channeling mana into my eyes while I had this fireball conjured. "Veer!" Her voice got very excited seeing me behind the fireball, but it was as she stepped out of the shadows her eyes lit up, and a huge smile appeared on her face. "A-Art?"

"Hey, Tess." My brother said, and as he stood there, a smile formed on him, but this time, it wasn't a fake one, it was a real smile. "It's been a while, hasn't it?" I could see tears starting to stream down her face, and in a split second, she began to run to Arthur.

My brother stepped into the running Tessia, giving her a hug. "I knew it, I knew you would keep your promise." She rested her head on his chest for a couple seconds or two, then as she composed herself, Tess backed up slightly, and grabbed Arthur's face. "I've been waiting for this for a while."

The two kissed, King and Queen Eralith were now up with Ellie and I, tears staines still on their faces, and at the sight of Tess and Arthur, they appeared to start crying again. The two finished kissing, and then as the blushing Arthur parted from her, King and Queen Eralith stepped in to give their daughter a hug.

That's when I realized they were going to have to tell her that Elder Virion was dead, the person I was named after. The people of Tess's group started pouring passed us and into the people behind us, we were almost done, almost out of this god forsaken long ass tunnel.

They were all hugging still, then as Tessia's eyes went to Ellie and me as they were about to rejoin our group, it was Queen Eralith that spoke up. "Tess." She stopped her daughter from walking so she could explain what had happened. "There is something we need to tell you."

I could see the worried expression start to form on her face at those words. "W-what?" She asked, looking from her mother then to Arthur, looking for answers in his face, knowing he wouldn't lie to her.

Queen Eralith went to speak, but it was Arthur who stepped up, motioning to the Queen that he had it handled. "Tess, before Veer and I arrived, there were two Asuras within the cavern with everyone, killing the soldiers and others." He paused for a second, letting her take in the information, then added. "In the midst of fighting before we showed up, Elder Virion, your grandfather was stabbed through the chest, Veer tried to heal him, but it was too late."

There was a long silence that filled the tunnel, Tessia's eyes watering even more as she tried to stay strong, but it wasn't until Arthur took her into embrace that the tears shot out. "No." She said quietly into his stomach, tears dripping to the ground, it wasn't an easy sight to take in, I did feel bad for her. "It can't be true, right, Arthur?"

"I'm sorry, Tess." Arthur whispered into her ear as he held her. "I really am." It wasn't his fault, it was mine if anything, I was the one that couldn't heal her.

'It wasn't your fault either, you know that.' Hades thought to me, and I nodded, knowing that he was right. 'But we should really get going, we need to get to the Lances.' I nodded as Arthur and Tess separated, and her eyes turned to me, I was looking at the ground, away from her.

"Veer." She said, and I looked up, no emotion on my face, I wasn't hiding anything, I just didn't feel anything right now. "You did your best." I stepped forward, giving her a slight smile as she got closer to me.