Chapter 97 - Death of a Champion

Summary: Link updates his journal with a short but sad chapter. After a farewell visit by Queen Zelda, Lady Urbosa passes on, the first of the legendary Champions who saved Hyrule to do so. The funeral service in Gerudo Town happens too soon for Zelda and the Champions to attend, so Zelda holds a small memorial service at Hyrule Castle.

Urbosa lay in bed in Gerudo Town as she and Zelda spent the past hour reminiscing. Zelda had received a troubling message from the new Gerudo Chief, Baleria, that Urbosa's illness had taken a turn for the worse, and Zelda had hastened to Gerudo Town to be with her dear friend. Zelda found Urbosa bedridden, too weak to do much. And as Zelda tried to cheer her up, she found herself fighting back the tears through most of their conversation. It was heartbreaking to see the once-mighty Gerudo warrior in such a weakened state.

"I still remember you going with me to the sacred spring and pulling me from the cold water," said Zelda. "You were always looking out for me whenever we were together."

"Yes, I remember, I thought you were going to freeze to death," said Urbosa. "And where would Hyrule be then? But you were always so earnest in your efforts, Zelda. Whatever you did, you put your whole heart into it. You loved the pursuit of knowledge, and you were tireless in your devotion and dedication to prayer. I was blessed to see you grow from a young girl to a beautiful young woman and then the most capable ruler Hyrule could ever want. And you have two beautiful daughters of your own now. I am so proud of you and so grateful to have been a part of your life."

"You've been an enormous part of my life, Urbosa," said Zelda. "You've done so much for me. I am the one who is grateful to you."

"I'm sorry, I'm growing tired," said Urbosa. "I usually can't talk as long as we have, but being able to spend time with you gave me an extra burst of energy. But now I have a request, and apologies if this sounds harsh. I don't want to see the others, the other Champions. Or rather, I don't want them to see me. Give them my love and tell them how proud I am to have been a part of our group, saving Hyrule together. But let's remember each other as we once were, not laying in our sick beds. I hope you understand and respect my wishes, Zelda."

"I understand," said Zelda who kept having to dry her eyes. "I won't tell them if that is your wish."

"Thank you. Now please don't be sad for me, Little Bird," said Urbosa as she gently touched Zelda on the cheek. "We all believe in a spirit realm, and soon I shall be reunited with my dear friend, your mother, whom I have missed for many years. I have often thought of her and even prayed to her on occasion. And if she doesn't already know, I will happily tell her what a wonderful person you've grown to become. I always believed in you, from the time you were just a little girl, and I was so right."

"I wish there were something I could do," said Zelda as she took Urbosa's hand. Urbosa squeezed it and smiled.

"I am so glad we had this time together, Zelda, time for such a nice long chat," said Urbosa. "It makes me happy to have shared some memories with you, to reminisce about the wonderful life we've both lived. But there is nothing you or anyone can do at this point. The doctors have examined me, and tell me it's only a matter of time. Remember me and pray for my spirit, that's all I ask. Now you should go as I need to rest. I love you, my dearest Zelda. Be well!"

"I love you too," said Zelda as she leaned down, kissed Urbosa on the forehead and squeezed her hand. Then Zelda left the room and burst into tears. It felt like she was losing her mother all over again.

It was a few days later that news of Urbosa's passing reached everyone, an announcement by Gerudo Chief Baleria. Urbosa had died peacefully in her sleep.

"Link, did you get the notice about Urbosa?" said Mipha holding her Tab.

"Yes, I just did," said Link. "She must have been sicker than I imagined. I'm sorry we were too late to see her. I would have liked to say farewell."