I'll See You At Midnight

TW: Car accident, injury
------------------------------------------------------

I reach up on my toes and kiss Eddie one more time, both of us laughing from excitement as he packs some bags into the back of his van.

"I can't believe we're doing this, I'm still worried about everyone wondering where we've gone though." I say, wrapping my arms around Eddie's neck. Eddie reaches out and plucks a stray hair away from lips.

"It'll all be okay, once we've settled somewhere we can let everyone know that we've just decided to live somewhere else together, you know, starting our lives." He murmurs, kissing my forehead.

I smile and lean my head against his chest, listening to the same heartbeat I want to always wake up next to. "Are you sure you want to take our stuff now? We could just deal with it all when we get there." I mumble, tangling my fingers with his.

"We could, but I wanted to make it look a little bit like home just before you see the place." Eddie says, stepping away from me and kissing the back of my hand.

I smirk, "Ever the romantic. Well, promise to come back at midnight?"

Eddie nods sincerely, "I'll see you at midnight sweetheart."

With that, he cups my face and presses a kiss to my cheek, before getting into the van and driving to our new home without me.

That evening, I sit on the edge of my bed, my knee anxiously bounces as my bags sit near my feet, full of the final essentials I'm bringing with me. I'm so excited to run away with Eddie, to live in the apartment he's somehow got us, to live without anyone interrupting or judging us.

The hours go by slowly, and I feel my nerves fray and fray until it finally reaches midnight. I tip toe past my parents room, heading outside to the meeting spot with my bags, shivering as the moonlight shines down on me. I wait and wait, and at least an hour passes, but there's no sign of Eddie.

Has he left me? Don't be silly.

Has he run away from me? Of course not.

Has something happened. Please no.

With a heavy sigh and tears lining my eyes, I pick up my packed bags and carry them back into my house, slipping under my duvet still dressed, holding back tears and hoping Eddie comes back to me...

The next morning, I wake up tired and bleary eyed. I make my way to the kitchen, where my parents strangely sit in front of the TV, the smell of coffee fills the air but the tense atmosphere is what makes me alert.

"What's going on?" I ask, rubbing the back of my eyes as I reach my parents. My mother wraps an arm around my shoulders and kisses my temple.

"There's been a serious accident just outside of Hawkins. I'm so glad you're safe."

My heart stops as I look at the TV. Fire engines and ambulances surround the chaotic scene, and I swear my life ends right there when the camera cuts to a familiar van in a ditch.

Oh God no.