Pretty Heroic To Me

I run back to Eddie's Upside Down trailer, feeling weird after finally finishing off Vecna. Nancy, Robin and Steve aren't far behind me, I think they're relieved this is all over, and glad that I took the last shot that killed that monster.

Dustin jogs to me, tears falling down his face. Automatically I know something is wrong, he's injured and Eddie's nowhere to be seen.

"What happened Henderson? Are you alright?" I panic, looking down at his leg. Dustin nods but quickly dismisses his injuries. "The bats come quicker than we thought, Eddie led them away to buy you guys more time." He cries, looking traumatised and worried.

My heart falls to my feet and lower, and I swear my world tips. I take a deep breath, leaning down to Dustin and putting my hands on his shoulders.

"Where's Eddie?" I mumble, my brain full of static, it's like everything is in slow motion. Tears run down Dustin's face as he shrugs and points north.

"He went that way, we tried to climb but he cut the rope, I jumped but couldn't reach him in time, the last time I saw him bats were swarming-" He explains, but I'm already running in the direction of Eddie.

The group calls my name, but I ignore them. Since Vecna is dead, surely that means his demonic pets are too, right?

Thunder booms in the red sky, grey clouds make everything dim, and I can hardly see anything in the beyond. The group stays at Eddie's trailer, I can see them watching me, letting me be the one to find...whatever I find. I'm glad, I could never forgive myself if I let Dustin see Eddie's-

No. He might not be gone.

"Eddie!" I shout, frantically scanning the misty landscape, the Upside Down storm gets worse, and I feel my hairs stand on end from the static, we should go.

I'm moments away from turning back, telling the others to get to safety when a small shadow appears from the darkness. It's faint and I tense up, ready for another fight, but then my eyes widen as I watch Eddie limp out of the darkness.

"Oh my God," I cry, rushing to him. He opens his arms as I slam into him, wrapping my arms around his middle.

"Hey stranger," Eddie huffs, but coughs from the laugh, I notice he's got blood on his shirt, and cuts on his face.

"You're an asshole, as soon as you recover I'm going to-" I begin, but Eddie leans down and shuts me up with a kiss.

"I was worried about you too." He smiles, understanding my reaction, I nod and grab his arm, wrapping it around my shoulder as I help him get back to his trailer.

The ominous tension from the others disappears when they see he's okay, however Dustin shoots forward and hugs Eddie. Eddie chuckles and pats his head, smiling at me.

"You were wrong Munson," Steve pipes up as Nancy and Robin enter the trailer to go home. Eddie looks at Steve in confusion, "what you did back there seemed pretty heroic to me, I think you don't give yourself enough credit."

Eddie nods a thanks, looking down at me before meeting Steve's eyes. "I guess I realised I've got people I need to protect, we're not that different after all Harrington."

Steve laughs shaking his head, "Don't bet on it." I bite back a smile and help Eddie up the stairs, never letting him go even when we get back to Hawkins safely.