Falling Down

I step outside under the tin roof, the rain furiously hammers against it, making the storm seem worse than it actually is. Carefully I carry my hot drink to where Eddie's sat on the swing seat, a cigarette hangs from his fingers.

"Aren't you cold?" I ask farrowing my eyebrows. Eddie shakes his head and gives me a small smile. "I'm okay, just needed some peace."

I pause before sitting down, "Want me to go?" I ask feeling guilty. Eddie shakes his head and pats the space next to him. He keeps the seat still as I sit, getting as close to him as possible since I'm a little chilly.

Eddie switches the cigarette to his other hand then wraps the free arm around my shoulders, his fingers lightly brush my collarbone.

I sip my drink as Eddie takes a long drag of his cigarette, exhaling a plume of smoke that mixes with the light mist in the air. The rain continues, combined with the sound of thunder from a distance away.

I sigh, leaning my head against Eddie's shoulder. Words aren't needed for this moment, so we both stay quiet. I finish my drink and set the mug down on the floor beside me.

Eddie flicks his cigarette over the railing into a puddle forming in the mud, then grabs my legs and pulls them onto his lap. His hand rests across my knees, his thumb gently rubbing comfortingly. I have a feeling he needs this more than I do.

"Is there something on your mind?" I softly ask, my hand covers Eddie's. He opens his mouth to speak, but then he sighs and shakes his head.

"I'm okay." He murmurs. Sometimes Eddie doesn't open up right away, he's not used to having someone there for him to lean on, but I know when he's ready I'll be waiting.

For now, we just watch the rain fall.