Unhealthy Coping PT 1

TW: Heavy drug use, alcohol abuse.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I fall asleep sad again, my mind playing cruel tricks on me by remembering some happy memories of Eddie, my ex-boyfriend. My dreams are the same, imagining our future and the things we could've done together, like phoning-

Wait, what? The phone's ringing. I wake up from my sleepy state, then quickly rush out of my bedroom to answer the phone. "Hello?" I ask.

"Hey, it's Jeff, I don't know if you remember me? Anyway, uh, Eddie's here at some party and he's getting out of hand, I didn't know who else to call." Jeff rambles, his tone urgent. I sigh looking at the time, then tell him I'll come over and help.

I quickly get dressed, then put on minimal makeup since some of my classmates might be there, I'd hate for them to see me looking like a creature of the night. It takes a short time to arrive at the party, and by the looks of it, it's in full swing.

Jeff meets me out on the front lawn, looking sheepish and uncomfortable. "I'm sorry I called, he's in the upstairs bathroom, he's not been doing too good since you two, you know, broke up or whatever."

I nod and tell him to go home. As soon as I get inside, music blasts loudly and there's so many students I can hardly breathe. I hate parties, and I'm sure Eddie used to aswell, so I'm surprised he's here. I dodge some students making out on the stairs, and find the bathroom in no time. I knock on the door and hear "Go away" from a familiar voice. With a deep breath, I let myself in and close the door behind me.

When I turn around, I freeze. Eddie's bent over, a line of white powder sits on the counter between a dollar that's rolled up and shoved in Eddie's nose. He sniffs it all in one go before looking up at me and wiping his nostril with the back of his hand.

His eyes widen from either the drugs or the shock. "It's never kicked in this quick before." He mumbles, then begins laughing. He slumps on the toilet lit, picking up a beer bottle from the floor and chugging it down.

"Eddie," I softly say, realising he's out of control, I didn't know the breakup would hit him this hard. I clear my throat and grab his jacket, hauling him up before he passes out, "We're leaving now."

Eddie shakes his head but stumbles with me, his head lolls to the side as he mumbles "It's been a while since you cared about me."

I stiffen but continue walking, wrapping Eddie's arm over my shoulders as we walk downstairs with difficulty. As soon as we get downstairs people cheer, assuming we've just been doing the deed in the bathroom.

One guy walks up to me, blocking my exit. "Hey, leaving so soon? Don't be such a priss, leave him here with us."

I shake my head, there's no way I'm leaving Eddie here with these people. "Get lost, we're leaving." I say with as much confidence as I can muster.

The guy laughs and imitates me, then adds "Wanna give me a round up there?"

Eddie suddenly stands straight, getting in front of me to defend me. "Say that again asshole."

The guy does in fact say it again, and before I know it, Eddie's fist meets the guys face. "I'll fucking kill you if you ever touch her!" Eddie shouts, I drag Eddie away, my panic turning to adrenaline as I haul him out of the door and away from the shouting.

I manage to get Eddie into the passenger seat without another word, and I drive him home in silence. By time I help Eddie up the steps of his trailer, he's sweating and shivering from the drugs.

"You're such a dumbass Eddie." I mutter,  helping him undress to his underwear and placing a cold flannel to his forehead, Eddie groans.

"That's why you broke up with me, huh?" He slurs. I shake my head as I gently move his hair out of his face, perching on the edge of the bed.

"I broke up with you because it was easier than you breaking up with me." I admit. Eddie breathes as he takes it in, finally knowing the truth, whether he remembers or not, I don't know.

"You were wrong earlier," I whisper after a few minutes. Eddie opens his eyes and looks up at me, "I always cared about you, even when we weren't together. Even now."

Eddie's mouth parts and his hand reaches up to cup my cheek, I lean into his touch, savoring the feel. "I still love you too." He murmurw, his hand slowly drops as he falls asleep.

I sigh and lean back, watching to make sure Eddie survives the night. I keep falling asleep, but around seven in the morning Eddie wakes up, groaning as he sits up and looks at me in confusion.

"What are you still doing here?" He deeply mumbles.

I don't answer, instead I go grab him a glass of water then lean down, pressing a kiss to his head before turning around and leaving.

If Eddie remembers our talk, he'll come find me, I'm sure.