The Breakup Date

Today marks the final day of our fake relationship. Eddie has been the best fake boyfriend I could ask for, and admittedly after the first week I began dreading the days until this final Friday arrives.

It worked extremely well for both of us, I needed a boyfriend to quieten my annoying parents, and Eddie wanted to show to his friends that he could actually have one. We went on numerous fake dates and spent some time together even after his friends had left us alone. That really should have been the first clue that I'm falling head over heels for this loveable dungeon master.

We're currently at the spring fair where all of our friends are, Eddie and I have planned an argument to show that we're not getting along, at least then our friends can't badger us with questions. I walk with my arm linked with Eddie's, casually strolling past the food stands and brightly lit games as we make our way to the car park, already faking raising our voices.

"You're so predictable, I know you'd hate it here!" I snap, hiding my smile as Eddie rolls his eyes and runs a hand through his hair.

"Well at least I actually play the games, all you've been doing is eating!" Eddie retorts, I widen my eyes and let out a laugh, quickly smothering it with a cry as I release his arm and walk away from Eddie dramatically.

He chases after me, rushing to my side as we stand behind some parked cars. Panting I look up at his wide brown eyes, temped to reach up and brush his curls.

"You're a pretty good actor." I mumble with a small smile, Eddie nods, his hand finds mine as his thumb traces the back of my hand gently.

"You too, I didn't mean what I said, I'm glad you like the foo-" Eddie begins, but I cut him off by pressing my finger to his lips.

"I know you didn't mean it, it's fine." I laugh, my fingers trace his bottom lip as I sigh, God this is so hard to fake breakup with him. "So this is it?" I whisper, unable to avoid Eddie's penetrative eyes.

"No," Eddie mumbles, his hand catches my wrist, "I know we made a deal but...you can't tell me none of it felt real, even now, all I can think about is kissing you."

My breath hitches, my lips part and I lean towards him instinctively. Eddie's hand holds my waist as I press up onto my toes, "Don't think" I whisper seconds before our lips touch.

This kiss feels different, like instead of faking our feelings we're both no longer acting. Eddie groans into my mouth as I wrap an arm around his neck, bringing him down to my height.

I smile just as the firework display begins, the sounds of the bangs and pops fills the air combined with the tangy scent of gunpowder. Eddie leans back a little to catch his breath, the colours light up his smile as he grins down at me.

"Is this our first date?" He murmurs, tracing my cheekbone with a thumb.

"I thought this was our breakup date?" I smirk, reaching up to kiss Eddie again.