People We're Not

I sit opposite Eddie, my eyes roam around the posh restaurant with its fancy lights and well dressed people, I can't help but to feel severely out of place.

"What, not fancy enough got you?" Eddie teases, I turn back to him and smooth out my dress, plucking up one of the three spoons and observing it. I mean, why would a person need three spoons?

"It's amazing, I never thought we'd come to a place like this for a date, but I'm a little on edge." I laugh, earning a disapproving look to an older woman across the room.

I clear my throat as a waiter arrives at our table, looking down on us as if we shouldn't be here. "Would you like any wine before your meal?" He asks. Eddie's about to deny but I nod and give the waiter a smile.

"Could I have one glass please?" The waiter raises an eyebrow but nods before turning away, muttering to himself.

"You don't even like wine!" Eddie exclaims as he folds a napkin into a plane. I shrug, "Just a little taste, I'm sure this one's made from gold or whatever."

The waiter comes back with a single glass on a tray, I go to grab it but he awkwardly sets it on the table. I manage a thank you before grabbing the glass and take a mouthful.

Immediately the sour taste makes my eyes water and I spit it back out. Eddie laughs loudly at me, smirking once he recovers.

"I'm guessing no gold?" He softly asks as the waiter comes back bring menus. I shake my head and accept a menu, my eyes widening as I see the various name of foods I didn't even know existed.

I look at Eddie, who has the same expression, his eyebrows are drawn together as he mumbles to himself. "Eddie, I don't like any of this..." I guiltily murmur, biting my lip.

Eddie nods and stands up, grabbing his jacket whilst holding out a hand. "Let's go on a real date." He says, leaving some money on the table as we leave.

Half an hour later we're sat in his van in the middle of a fast food car park, with cheeseburgers, fries and shakes. Eddie and I look at each other and laugh, we must seem so odd all dressed up just to come here.

We listen to WASP and talk about everything and nothing, having more fun now being ourselves than trying to be people we're not.