Sunset Questions

I sit on the floor with Eddie, playing cards scattered across the table as music quietly plays in the background, the windows are open to let in the soft warm breeze and I've never been so glad to take a weekend away from home, even if it is at Eddie's dealers' cabin.

"Aha, you owe me!" Eddie shouts from opposite me, grinning as he slams down his cards. I smile as my gaze drifts past him and out of the window, my eyes widen and I stand up, forgoing shoes as I yank the door open and jog to the dock.

"What's wrong?" Eddie panics from behind me, immediately following me outside. I don't reply, I just stop at the edge of the dock with my eyes glued to the landscape.

The sky is a vibrant pink and purple, with fluffy clouds making it seem like something from a book. The lush forest creates a gorgeous silhouette combined with the last rays of sunlight glistening on the gently lapping water. My mouth opens as I stare, amazed by nature and this exact moment. I want to laugh and cry, but at the same time for once I'm overcome with the sudden feeling of pure undiluted happiness.

Eddie "ahhs" softly, his steps slow towards me as he wraps his arms around me, crossing them over my chest as he presses me to him. His chin rests on my head as we watch it slowly fade to a darker blue, the scenery darkening by ever passing minute. Just when the path back is barely visible Eddie sighs and finally breaks the silence.

"Do you wanna get married?" He asks casually. My already wide eyes grow bigger as I stiffen, turning around in his arms and looking up at him in shock.

He looks down at me with a smile, it's like he's so chill about it, and I can't help but to match his energy. "Yeah" I reply as calmly as possible. We both laugh as he pulls me back towards the cabin before it gets too dark.

Just outside the door in the lamplight, Eddie pauses and turns around, getting on one knee and pulling off his blue mood ring. "Let's make it a little more official." He murmurs, slipping the ring onto my finger.

I lean down and kiss him, pulling him up and dragging him inside.