Tryouts

I sit on the picnic benches just outside of the school gym, my knee bounces nervously as I bite my nail, half ready to spring up and run away.

"Hey," Eddie softly says from beside me, he places his hand on my knee to stop it from moving, "You're gonna be great, there's no need to be nervous."

I frown, shaking my head as I stand up. His hands find my waist and pull me between his legs. "What if they don't like me? Maybe I'll mess up, or maybe they'll-" I panic, rambling quickly.

"Hey, take a breath sweetheart. Good job, now listen to me; they'd be crazy not to pick you, you're great and I've seen you practice almost everyday this week." He softly murmurs, I let out a shaky sigh, my hands cup his face as I look down at him.

"Well at least I know a band I could join if all else fails." I mumble, my mouth tilts into a smile.

I hear music begin playing in the gym, so I take it as my cue to quickly head inside. The gym is full of students trying out for the cheerleading squad, as well as the basketball team and students ready to watch the dancers.

I sit on the bench alongside many other nervous pretty faces, all shaking their hands or legs to keep warm and shake off the energy.

One by one names are called and dances are done, they're all really good and I seriously think about backing out. My eyes scan the crowd cheering above me, I find Eddie's smile as he winks at me, already showing me support.

All of a sudden my name is called. Anxiously I take a deep breath and walk to the centre, keeping my eyes forward as I ignore the numerous stares I'm sure I'm getting. Half the school watches as I take my stance, waiting for the music to begin.

When it does, I focus on it, moving my body the way I've practiced with a smile on my face. My nerves begin to fade and are replaced with excitement as I dance, my body smoothly moving to the music, I feel light and full of happiness as I sway and flip.

As quick as it begin, my performance is over. Panting and sweating I acknowledge the cheers as I walk back to my spot, I find Eddie in the crowd with a proud look on his face, whistling and cheering my name the loudest.

There's only a few more dances after mine until tryouts are over, and the gym begins to empty since the fun is over. The cheerleaders talk in a circle as we all wait, then they finally reveal the names of those who made it through.

My heart beats fast and faster until they finally say my name. I can't believe it! Eddie leaps down the steps towards me with his arms open, I get up and run to him, jumping up as he catches me and hugs me tight.

"I did it! Eddie I'm a cheerleader!" I exclaim with a laugh, Eddie walks with my legs wrapped around his waist.

"That's my girl, I'm so damn proud of you!" He shouts, kissing my cheek.