Roll The Dice

"And who's this girl you've brought with you?" The leader of this Hellfire Club asks, his eyes are directed at me but the question is aimed at my brother Dustin.

"Eddie, meet my sister, Y/N." Dustin smiles, gesturing for me to step forward. I give Eddie a small wave, but his eyes flick away from me as if he's already decided I'm not good enough.

"She's not playing." Eddie says standing up, walking slowly over to me. I raise my chin up, crossing my arms defensively as a small smile plays on the edge of his lips.

"I've heard you need a sub, and I'm here. Trust me, I'd rather be somewhere else, but my brother never asks me for anything, so when he desperately begged me to come, I did. So how about you stop silently judging me and we play the damn game." I reply confidently, but in reality I'm ready to turn heel and run, especially now since Eddie stares at me in disbelief.

The other club members snicker as if they've never heard anyone speak to Eddie this way, but he sends them a look over his shoulder and they soon shut up.

"What's your class and level?" He asks.

I shrug a shoulder, not being able to hide the smirk on my face as I reply "Level 14 rogue elf."

Eddie's eyes widen momentarily, so I add "Dustin's not the only nerd in our family." Eddie's lips part into a grin, and he shoves his hand out for me to shake.

My eyes dart from Eddie's hand to his brown eyes, then after a moment I finally shake it. His grip is firm and when I realise he isn't letting go, I frown and open my mouth, but Eddie beats me to it, leaning down and speaking in a low voice, he mumbles "I wasn't judging you earlier, sorry if it came across that way."

I nod as he lets go, and we all take our places at the table. Eddie begins telling us all the information we need, and I'm surprised at how good he is at being a Dungeon Master, Dustin said Eddie gets into it, but this is a whole other level.

Throughout the game, Eddie's eyes often meet mine, and though I concentrate on the game, I can't help but to notice him often specifically referring to me.

Once the game has been played and the campaign finishes, with us winning, everyone seems in a rush to get out and celebrate. Dustin runs ahead of me, cheering with everyone else as I pack up my things.

Eddie lingers by my side, his hands in his pockets. He seems more nervous than he was earlier, which is odd. "You play really well, Henderson never said you were into D&D." Eddie smiles. My heart skips a beat at this genuine version of Eddie.

"Yeah," I remember to reply, slinging my bag over my shoulder, "Dustin pretty much forced me into it, I can't say I've had many people to play it with, other than his friends, which sounds really sad out loud." I laugh anxiously, tucking my hair behind my ears.

Eddie shakes his head and shrugs, "Maybe you should join Hellfire on a more full-time basis, if you want."

My lips tilt into a smile and I notice the dice in the corner of my eye. I turn to the table and pluck one up, holding it towards Eddie. "Let me roll the dice and see, if I get higher than a 10, then that's a yes."

Eddie nods and watches as I roll it across the table, before I can look Eddie grabs it and grins. "I guess we have to get you a T-shirt."

I have a feeling the dice wasn't in my favour, but I'm way too intrigued by Eddie now, so I grin. "I guess so."